Pen/display design contest...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYoSpin

Well, we're up to 59 entries so far...I'm getting excited. The contest will definitely end tomorrow, 11/30. If you haven't made your entry yet, you better turn up the burners, cuz time is running out. Good luck everyone.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Just a thought, but if tossing out ideas is ok...how about pens/displays centered around the 4thJuly Holiday...could maybe tie it in with the Freedom Pen project...might be a somewhat limited pen but the pen display could help set it apart..??

JustAThought,
JohnPayton

tipusnr

How about a holiday theme? Any holiday - not just the 4th of July - to keep our worlwide membership involved. With divisions for just pens and pens with displays. Then I, for one, wouldn't spend so much time trying to devise a display when I want to make pens!

its_virgil

How many flag pens can one forum make? Or pens that look like firecrackers?
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by dougle40
<br />Here , here Bill !
I'm with you considering the fact that the 4th of July is just another day for me !!

G

Again I'll go out on a limb,but this conest had no "theme and it stretched my imagination.
I had to come up with a plan "B" because the design concept of plan "A" kept breaking.
A "theme" contest might be limiting.
I like the idea of a design contest split into with and without dislpays.
That would have the luxury of judging the pen on its' own merit.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Not disagreeing with anyone, but maybe we should start by eliminating what can't be done:

Holidays - nope - not everyone celebrates occasions like the 4th, and a bunch are religous holidays and I'm sure no one will agree there...

Sports - nope - how many baseball bats and billiard ball pens antler pens could you make...

...hmmm, how about pens that are writing instruments but could serve as another device...such as a pen that could easily be transferred into a peashooter... sorry Anthony[:D]

JohnPayton

YoYoSpin

John, you may have something there...how about a "hidden pen" design contest? Where whatever you submit must contain a pen, but it can't no be too obvious...the cleverest concealment wins.

PenWorks

Ouch ! I felt that from here [8D] That sounds like a good idea, " hidden pen " Maybe shorten the time frame to 3 months, and count me in on donating something like pen cases to the prize list.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
There are a HUGE number of themes we could select from, folks. I'm not all that imaginative and even I can think of: outer space, oceans and seas, mountains, carnival, movies,toys, music, occupations, books, machinery, flora and fauna...the possibilities are endless. [8D]

timdaleiden

I am not sure what the next contest theme should be, but I do want to say that the entries in this contest are all great. I would not want to be a judge in this one. I saw a lot of innovative designs, unique concepts, and great craftsmanship. Great job folks.

cpine

Originally posted by YoYoSpin
<br />Any ideas on a theme? I'm open to all suggestions.

How about somthing that has been done but it could be designated and the judging would be as to the accomplishment of the task at hand.. for exapmple segmented pens.. The judges would judge how well that task was accomplished? Just an idea.

Chris

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
A special thanks from me both as an individual member and as President of our Association to Ed and his team for running this truly inspirational contest. We're all winners due to this team's magnificent efforts.

Tom McMillan

WOW---The contest entries are absolutely wonderful!!!!! A lot of creativity and just a lot of very well done contest entries. But, I'm thinking next time I might wait to enter til a little later---guess I didn't know the entries would be shown to all---That part's ok---in fact I think it's great---but, guess I was hoping a lot of others would have entered a little earlier---Well, I'm really very glad that so many took part and made this contest work.

jbjwood2000

I agree with Tom, WOW!! Great work everybody. Just wanted to say thanks to Jeff for hard work posting all entries. Thanks to the judges, would not want to be in your shoes. And thanks to the sponsers for donating the prizes. In all I would say the IAP is the big winner here.

PenWorks

Just want to say thanks to the IAP for a fun contest and congrats to all the wonderfull entries. [:)]

Was that the Price Waterhouse van I saw leaving Ed's shop [?]

G

Mine is a tale of woe.
I said earlier I had a plan "A" that wasn't turning out.
Based on an article in Woodturning and Design I made a fence for myTS sled that allows me to rip extreemly thin laminations.
I have been bening them in blanks and the results are wild.
I was going to post 2 different pens,but when I went to send the first last night,I got an error message.I tried the address again with a test message and it came back with the same error message.
I gave up and never got the second pen entered.
The weird thing is I got an e-mail this a.m. saying the one entry had been received.
It was not the primary entry.
It's O.K. though, all the other entries have me in awe.

daledut

I must say, in looking through the final list of contest entries, WOW!!! what a rousing success. There are so many great looking pens and displays that it is hard to see how the judges will ever sort it out.

For future contests, I think entries should not be shown until the contest closes. Post numbers of entries, but not the photos, so that early entries won't have the disadvantage of being seen by the competition.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I get the sense of the membership that additional contests are a good thing. As Gomer Pyle would say "Suh-priiiiize, suh-priiize, suh-priiiize."

We have a Board meeting this evening and I'm sure it will be a topic we can touch on. As far as not displaying entries, my thought would be to display THIS contest's entries as enticement to participate in the next contest. In that way, these beauties will be seen again and again. We could even annotate the winners. Any thoughts from you good people? [8D]

Daniel

Do I feel so Lucky, Lucky that I am not trying to judge this contest. Good luck to those that are. Your work is cut out, or should I say Turned Out, for you.
Really great work everyone. I have really enjoyed browsing through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom