Pen Display Cases

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

thostorey

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada.
I am in need of a case to display my pens, one that will hold about 24 or more. Anyone know of a site were building plans are available? I’ve Googled but all I come up with is retail sellers charging maga-bucks.

Thanks, Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

melogic

Tom,
Does it have to be a display case? I used a few branches from a tree in my front yard to display my pens. Check out my home page on my web site listed below.

pen-turners

Originally posted by thostorey
<br />I am in need of a case to display my pens, one that will hold about 24 or more. Anyone know of a site were building plans are available? I’ve Googled but all I come up with is retail sellers charging maga-bucks.

Thanks, Tom

Tom,
I got mine from Ryan at Woodturningz.com at a fair price. Might want to give him a call.

Chris

G

Taking a look at what was available I mamade my own using router bits to make the cove.
I used aerosol adhesive to glue down felt.
Tray slots are available by themselves.
I believe they are made of paper or cardboard.
You might consider buying the trays and making your own box.
Also consider making larger to hold maore than 24.

wayneis

I think that Rockler has plans for a relly nice display case, give them a try. Also look at the photos in the Hut catalog and maybe you could draw up your own using the photos as a guide.

Wayne

Fred in NC

I have made a few wood trays, but I am not so happy with them, too heavy for one thing.

From my searches I have found that jewelers use standard size utility trays for storage and display. The standard, or full size, is 14 3/4''L x 8 1/4''W and comes in heights of 1", 1-1/2", 2", etc.
These trays use inserts depending on the type of jewelry you want to display. They also sell plain pads that fit inside, some of them velvet covered.

What caught my eye is that there are jewelry supply houses that sell these trays for less than $2. each! There are inserts, that is tray liners, made of some thin flocked plastic, available for the trays. None that I have found are a perfect fit for pens, but some come very close. Look at:

http://www.nilecorp.com/products.asp?sku=97%2D05

These come is several colors. Two of these inserts fit in one standard size tray.

A regular tray and two inserts costs less than $3.

One drawback is that jewelry supply houses have minimum orders. Most of them about $100.

Look in Nile's catalog for Utility Trays and inserts.

Anyone selling other small items can also get inserts sized for keyrings, bottle stoppers, etc.

If you happen to look at these, please let me know what you think.

EDIT ADDED:

Look also at http://www.nilecorp.com/products.asp?sku=1732%2D1
These are acrylic pen displays at $4. each !

melogic

Check this link out.(www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=BOX) Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for or not.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
What I was talking about, was the velvet covered linings that fit into something like the 48-pen display case w/lid that Penn State offers. Not the case itself, but the lining inside the case that seperates and holds the pens from each other.

I have seen those offered somewhere but that was before I was turning pens and wasn't interested in them, now I can't find them.

Thanks,
JohnPayton

wayneis

If you have a Router table, some felt and some spray glue it should be pretty easy to make your own trays any way or size you want. I would just use some enexpensive pine. I may just have to give it a try myself.

Wayne

G

3/4 or 5/8 bull nose bit/
I made a jig to hold the pens boxes shown in my album.
A router guide would work nicely for trays but it would be good to rig up an "indexer"
I see if I can retrace my search steps for the "trays"

darbytee

Thanks for the link Fred. I just ordered a couple of these:

http://www.nilecorp.com/products.asp?sku=83%2D1C

With the inserts they came out to about $7 each. I also ordered some of the acrylic display cases you linked to above. I'll report back about their service.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Fred and darbytee,
really sweet looking case you found there darbytee and nice price too, did you also find inserts that fit pens at same site..?

Thanks,
JohnPayton

darbytee

I found the inserts on the same site here:

http://www.nilecorp.com/products.asp?sku=96%2D10

I ordered some of these boxes too (on closeout):

http://www.nilecorp.com/products.asp?sku=KWB5

They're a little bit longer than I would like, but I can make an insert pretty easily and you can't beat the price.

William Young

Tom;
I dont know if you have seen this one that I have made or not. It is one of several different designs I have made. Space for 30 pens, key chains at the back and bottle stoppers on the side. It is fairly basic carpentry and I put a drawer in the bottom for the pen boxes. I cut the grooves in the board with my router and then put a flocking coating inside it. I think about the most expensive part of the whole thing was the $5.00 I paid for the plexiglass top from my local glassman. The brass hinges were out of a goodie box and the drawer handle is an ancient used one that I cleaned and polished .
I put a small hasp and mini padlock on it because of the way it is openly displayed on a shelf in one of the local gift shops so the salesperson there can help sell one (or more) to anyone that seems interested .
It costs me $7.50 per month for display space for that one and no commissions on any sales..
W.Y.
68018027.jpg

darbytee

An update on the order with Nilecorp.com. It has been 6 days since I ordered from them and they have not only not shipped it yet, they haven't given me any sort of communication regarding why it hasn't shipped. Also, I checked the FAQ on their website to see what their standard shipping policy is and it looked like it was written by a first grader. I'm getting a bad feeling about these guys. I'll update when I know more.

Scchil

Try levenger.com. They have some very nice display cases. They give measurments and photos. They don't look like they would be too difficult to make.

Schil

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
darbytee, I started to order from them because they had display boxes at what I thought was a great price and cheaper than I thought I could make them myself. Gave them a call first just because I had never ordered from them before. Person I spoke to was Chinese I believe, and possibly just coincedence, but only time there seemed to be a language barrier was when I asked a question they didn't want to answer - such as why the picture was of a nice looking red wood and i could order only black wood.

Probably nothing, but didn't get a warm fuzzy.

Hope everthing turns out well for you.

JohnPayton

Fred in NC

Originally posted by darbytee
<br />An update on the order with Nilecorp.com. It has been 6 days since I ordered from them and they have not only not shipped it yet, they haven't given me any sort of communication regarding why it hasn't shipped. Also, I checked the FAQ on their website to see what their standard shipping policy is and it looked like it was written by a first grader. I'm getting a bad feeling about these guys. I'll update when I know more.

Fred: Did you get this matter resolved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom