Pen Disassembly Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pgfitzgerald

Hey everyone,

I badly scratched the tip on a slimline when I assembled it tonight. I'm going to pick up a transfer punch set from HF tomorrow so I can replace the damaged tip.

Just to make sure I don't screw it up...

I use a small diameter punch through the twist mechanism to knock out the tip? Then use a larger diameter punch from the tip end to knock out the twist mechanism? Also, can the twist mechanism be reused or should I just use a new one?

Thanks!

Paul

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotti158

dis assembly

I've always been able to re use the parts with no problems. If you are going to replace just the tip you won't have to press out the tranny.

cbatzi01

Hi Paul,

The twist mechanism (transmission) can be reused. But as the kit pieces are just pressed in, repeated removal may cause some "stretch" and you might need a drop of CA to hold the transmission in place.
BTW, the HF punch set was one of the best investments in my pen-making life :)

ldb2000

That is correct . As for reusing the transmission , you should be able to reuse it as long as you don't damage it taking it out . If it fits too loose on the new pen use a drop of loctite (any color , I use the red) to lock it in place .

markgum

That is correct . As for reusing the transmission , you should be able to reuse it as long as you don't damage it taking it out . If it fits too loose on the new pen use a drop of loctite (any color , I use the red) to lock it in place .

just wondering if there are any precautions to take so you don't "lock" :eek: the tranny when using loctite?? I have a bullet pen that the tranny is a little lose in.

ldb2000

I use a qtip to put a very light coat in the tube then press in the transmission . You only need a light coat just remember to keep it away from the moving parts and wait for it to dry before reassembling the pen .

1080Wayne

I've always been able to re use the parts with no problems. If you are going to replace just the tip you won't have to press out the tranny.
Paul Be very careful when re-installing the nib that you don`t also push the tranny farther in . You can`t use the exposed end of the tranny as a base to work against when squeezing or tapping the nib back in . I prefer to take them out . A tranny pushed in too far is much harder to remove than one from its proper place , though even that is frequently harder than removing the nib . Wayne

MobilMan

Take a piece of wood 0r one of the blanks you messed up & slide it over the trans. & push on it instead of the trans. If you have one with the tube in it, the tube will match up with the other tube-that way you're not pushing on the blank & taking a chance of debonding it.

fernhills

The punch set is a life saver, for sure. The only problem i have in taken pens apart are with the CB`s that are glued on like the American and euro`s. I now make sure it is a press on fit, no glue so i can take those apart if i have to.

scotti158

If I don't need to take the tranny out, I'll slip a scrap piece of 7mm tubing over the trans end so I'm not pressing the trans in further. I learned this from an earlier "oops" of mine.

Chris Bar

Wait until it dries completely, then wait another 14 days :redface:. Thought a slimline top was dry when I added a little glue to add resistance to make fit a bit better. Its very resistive now.....have a permanently installed refill now; guess the innards would now be called a fill :biggrin:. My SIL was wanting that pen....:wink:

pgfitzgerald

John; You can either use the Pin punch set, but I prefer the "Transfer Punch set" because it has 28 punches from 3/32" to just over 17/32" in 1/64" steps. You can thus match just about any brass tube size we use.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3577

That's the one I got... the 28 piece transfer punch set from 3/32" to 1/2" in 1/64" increments plus a 17/32" punch. It comes with an indexed stand as well.

Worked like a charm.

Paul

Top Bottom