Pen Dimensions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

I'm in the process of making some pen boxes, and I'm trying to make the boxes the appropriate size for the pens that will be housed in them. I have a bunch of unopened kits at home, and since I've never turned pens for them, I don't know what the final dimensions will be. If you have any of the following, would you be kind enough to add the finished dimensions for a "standard" pen to this list:
Length Largest Diameter
Slimline:
Cigar: 7 5/8" 5/8"
Baron:
Jr. Gent:
Series 2000:
El Grande:
Ligero:

Obviously, I don't need exact measurements; I need enough room to make everything fit comfortably. For the diameter, I was measuring with the pen on a flat surface, and looking at the highest point away from that surface (which I think in most cases is the clip).

I'll fill in the Slimline later, when I can get home to measure it, but any help with the other kits would be appreciated! Also, if you want to turn this into a more comprehensive resource, please feel free to add other kits too!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Your diameter for the "trough" is going to depend on the bull nose bit you get.
Most standard boxes are 5/8th's but I have run into a few that are bigger.
I use a 3/4" bull nose bit.

200534212055_Lennysbirthadacamdenjewlwerpens%20021.jpg

I made these because I wanted a walnut box.
I later found walnut boxes bit the finish was lousy.
I have one customer who wants me to make the boxes for the pens I sell her.
I charge $10.00 and the price is going up.
It might be easier to refinish the Taiwanese ones.

JimGo

Thanks Eagle, that's exactly the design I had in mind! I am making the boxes out of the same wood that the pens are made from (first try will be purpleheart).

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Lou, that's interesting, I wonder why your cigars are different from mine.
No idea, Jim. But even my Statesman pens are only 6 inches long. My cigar pens are from Arizona Silhouette.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Thanks Eagle, that's exactly the design I had in mind! I am making the boxes out of the same wood that the pens are made from (first try will be purpleheart).
Do what you want but shouldn't the box contrast the pen as opposed to camoflaging it?
Purple Pen in a Purple box?
Purple heart is cool but did you know that in some places it's pallet wood?

Tom McMillan

Wow, Jim---Your dimension seems long for a cigar pen. I measured mine closed at 5 and 9/16 inches. I got mine some time ago from Woodturningz. Are you sure you measured right???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom