Pen design theory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I am looking for any literature that i can find about pen design theory. Or maybe just a good discussion about it. I am trying to expand my knowledge as much as possible and find myself pondering different design elements.

How does a fat pen write compared to a skinny pen, top heavy, bottom heavy, etc. etc.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigguyZ

I'm far from an expert, but I really think that looking at the gellery will help a lot. Also, using the pens you make for a bit will help you figure out what works and what doesn't.

Personally, I try to be failry balanced when making a pen- but I find it better to be nib heavy than top heavy.

bitshird

Ron, look at the quality factory made pens, pens by Mont Blanc, Faber Casteele <sp>
Rotring, and also some of the other classic designs, Keep in mind these pens are designed to be comfortable and ballanced for the multitudes. To my thinking a pen should be light, with a plactic or bakelite grip, and lay comfortable in my hand, I have an old Sheaffer that I enjoy writing with, the design thing is impossible to analyze every one has different ideas , look at the Scepter Noveau, one of my favorite pens I've made is an Elgrande, because of the grip, but like most kit pens, it's a wee bit heavy.

PenWorks

Go to the library or book store and look at Fountain pens of the world, or any good pen book and you will see a century of pen design. :)

DurocShark

And after you've read everything and learned all there is to learn you will find that every person is different and will prefer different grips/sections, different weights and balance, etc.

I have one woman customer who loves massive grips but prefers it be finial heavy. :shrug:

When I try a new kit or design I will make one for myself first. Then I can decide how best to proceed with a marketable product. A simple example was when I was testing the cheap "button click" kits from Rockler. I made one b2b and found it too finial heavy for me. But my wife loved it. I was able to counteract the weight in the finial by giving the nib end barrel a gentle swell for a larger grip surface as well as a smidge of more weight. Made it perfect for my hand. But my wife hated it.

Top Bottom