Pen Design

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKelley

I have noticed on two tube pens that some turners prefer the barrel of a pen to be blown out while small at center. (wasp waist) and others more straight or pararell with the tube, and on single tube pen the swelling of the center is rather pronounced. I know beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but what is the general opinion of our members?

Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

I'm not a huge fan of the wasp waist. Occassionally I will see one that looks really good to me. Having said that, I almost never do a slimline "slim". I always make it a little fatter than it should be and narrow it down at the band. But mine are straight with a little dip into the band, not what I consider a wasp waist.

Andrew_K99

I think the mass produced pens tell the story ... they're all straight, or flare at or near the ends. If you want a thick pen use a different kit IMO. I haven't seen many pens that aren't relatively straight that look funtional or like they would be nice to hold.

ToddMR

Well it depends on who is your buyer. A lady at work who has easily bought 10 cigar pens, likes a bulge in the middle. I made one b2b for her once and she didn't care for it much and gave as a gift to someone else. I do a lot of my current turnings b2b, unless the customer requests otherwise. On any custom pens I make, I ask them, do you want it straight or a bulge in the middle. On my slims I normally at least have a slight hump in the lower barrel as I think it fits in most peoples hands better that way. I have on occasion had requests for a slim to be as straight as possible, but most seem to like the slightly larger middle on the lower barrels. That just has been my experience. Now for my stock I try to have variety, but mostly do b2b. Hope that helps some. In the end it matters only what the customer likes.

Of course I am sure there will be as many opinions on this topic as there are on how & what finish to apply.

Last edited:

warreng8170

No offense to anyone here, but I absolutely do not like pens that bulge significantly from the mating kit parts. I try to use the angle of the kit part to determine the line of the blank, but most of my pens have a VERY slight contoured swell. Some kits (Emperor's for example) look good B2B, but if your not careful B2B can end up looking convex and under-turned.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Taste

Slimlines can be made in many shapes I often bulge the lower barrel and go straight on the upper or turn a grip on the lower barrel. I think it is a bit easier to turn if you go a little bit thicker than the center band and just round the edge a little especially on a fancy where the centerband has a slightly greater diameter than the bushings. For 7mm I like the line of Comforts much better than slims but based on sales I seem to be alone in that preference.

Last edited:

avbill

Many pen craftsman are short-sighted. Yes I also think the budging pen barrels look ugly. yet there is a section of the population that need those type of pens. And that is the people who have arthritic hands. the bigger the pen thickness the easier it is for them to hold. And many of them have $$

Rangertrek

Since I am making 'custom' pens, I always have a little shape to my pen barrels. Production pens are generally straight line design. All of mine have a slight curve to the barrels. I do an occasional 'wasp body' pen if requested.

Most of the people that buy my pens like the slight curve to the barrels. They say it makes the pen distinctive from mass produced work. On Sierra style pens I follow the line of the nib section with a smooth arc to the cap section. I never do a straight line on this style, just don't like the look.

I have a few customers that request larger diameter pens because of hand issues. I use the Guardian style for some of those and a fatter design Comfort style also.

I tend to make what pleases my eye on the design and what my customers tend to buy. They don't typically buy anything with 'coves, beads, etc.'

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
So True

Many pen craftsman are short-sighted. Yes I also think the budging pen barrels look ugly. yet there is a section of the population that need those type of pens. And that is the people who have arthritic hands. the bigger the pen thickness the easier it is for them to hold. And many of them have $$

For years I carried a Cross slim pen/pencil set and loved them. Now, even though I don't have arthritis, I'm older and I like bigger pens a bit better. I have had several customers who took bigger pens after trying several - they usually cited the pen being easier to hold.

Top Bottom