Pen Design

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryannmphs

OK, so the last couple of pens I have turned (one is still on the lathe) I have gone so far as getting the finish applied before realizing, "I don't like the way it looks". Maybe the finial end is too round withour enough taper to the body, or there's too much of a taper.

Does this happen to anyone else? And, when you do realize the design is not right, even if your finish is applied and you are ready to remove the blanks from the mandrel, do you try to adjust the design and refinish?

Ryan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I do that somewhat regularly. Sometimes I don't like the finish either, so I sand it down and try another finish. If we weren't picky, we'd be turning out schlock.

melogic

I have done this before. I have completed the pen anyway and the pen turned out nicer once it was together. I have also turned the wood off of the tube and started all over again. I guess it's what do you feel the best way to go would be. I always look at it "Would I purchase this pen and give it as a gift?". If the answer is "yes", then I complete it. If the answer is "No", then it gets re-turned.

PenWorks

At least you found that out before assembly Ryan. It happens to me allot. I keep an inventory of about 200 finished blanks in different woods and styles. Never know when your going to get the big one. I review them every know & then and allways pick some out to refinish or recut. At the time they seemed fine, but when you take another look on a diffenrt day, makes you wonder what you were thinking when you made it. I really don't think you make that decission if it's a keeper until you put the finish on.

Anthony

timdaleiden

I have gone further than that. Sometimes I assemble, look at the pen for several days, and then decide there is something that needs adjustment or change. Take it apart, put it back on the mandrel, etc.

This happens even if my first impression is that it is really cool.

Originally posted by ryannmphs
<br />
Does this happen to anyone else? And, when you do realize the design is not right, even if your finish is applied and you are ready to remove the blanks from the mandrel, do you try to adjust the design and refinish?

Ryan

Gary

I guess it happens to most of us, that old thing called satisfaction. If I don't like it, then I don't want to give it or sell it to someone.

Fleabit

Welcome to being your biggest critic! This happens to me reguarly. All you I do is sand it back down and keep going till it is how I like it. I feel your irratation after putting in all that time to not like the end result. But yes, happens to a lot of us.

tipusnr

I did this with the pen I just uploaded. The shape changed three or four times then the finished blanks went up to the wife before assembly as I didn't see a reason not to shred them from the tubes and start over.

Obviously I didn't but I have started over in the past and will again in the future. It's a part of the process unless you make traditional, straight slimlines.

G

It depends on your standards.
I have a box of i'll "fix them laters"
Some times they are hand to cut up for spacers.

jdavis

Ryan- You arenot alone. WE experience it alot. We do what we can to make the pen like the student wants it to look. Not always sucessful. Keep turning and good luck.[8D]

authentic

No, you're definately not the only one! And I find also that the more pens I turn, and the more designs and combinations I have tried and seen...the newness somehow wears off (at least for me)...and I think my pens are starting to look really "dull", even tho anyone else who sees them will awe! and ahh! them. :) Go figure! I am my worst critic.

woodscavenger

I was just going through my little box of blanks that I turned but never fitted to a kit. I used one last night to play around with a new finishing technique

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom