Pen with a Cross

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

knottyharry

Someone posted a pic recently of a pen with a cross inlaid into it.
I thought it was really neat, and had to try it.
This one is made of oak, and the cross is black walnut.
I did this with a slimline kit.
Harry

20054147658_oak-walnut-cross.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That is a really good looking pen. I am going to have to get theological here, when I do mine (hopefully very soon) I'm going to use bloodwood. No laughing matter.

J. Fred Muggs

Great job, Harry!
For Tom and Pastorbill - Don't forget the legend of the dogwood. The Bible doesn't tell us what wood was used for Jesus' cross but legend says dogwood and that it was cursed afterward to never grow large enough again to be used for a cross. Therefore, a bloodwood pen with a dogwood cross inlay would be the ideal choice[:)]

I wasn't referring to what type of wood waqs used for the cross, I refer to the shed blood of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Without which I would never have been saved. However I do beleive that the mix of woods was great because the cross did stand out.

Rifleman1776

Agree, it is a beautiful choice. I may have started the dogwood discussion with a picture I posted last week. So that there is no misunderstanding, the legend of the dogwood is just that, a legend. It came from a very old poem whose author is today unknown. There is no biblical basis for the legend. It is a story but it is a beautiful reminder. Now, how about a primer on how that cross was inlaid.

Originally posted by J. Fred Muggs
<br />Great job, Harry!
For Tom and Pastorbill - Don't forget the legend of the dogwood. The Bible doesn't tell us what wood was used for Jesus' cross but legend says dogwood and that it was cursed afterward to never grow large enough again to be used for a cross. Therefore, a bloodwood pen with a dogwood cross inlay would be the ideal choice[:)]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by J. Fred Muggs
<br />Great job, Harry!

This is a great idea.

knottyharry

Thank you for your wonderful comments.
To answer your questions, Yes the clip is on the other side.
At first I put it over the cross, but that didn't look good. And you could only see part of the cross.
I started out with a piece of oak about a foot long, and ran it through my router with a straight bit, 1/8 inch. Then I cut some strips of walnut on the table saw for the inlay. I put the walnut in the long part of the blank and glued it. Then came back and made the cross cut at the top and glued the walnut in.
Then turned it.
Hope that helps.
Harry

BigRob777

Looks like I"m in the right topic. I told leatherman that dogwood story about three weeks or so ago. I don't believe it, but it does make an interesting story. I wanted to make a cross out of BOW, with bloodwood inlay. Then I said that it should be dogwood, with bloodwood inlay. Someone just mentioned Kingwood. How I'm going to have to combine all four. The hill in olivewood, the upright in dogwod, the cross member in Kingwood and three or four round spots of bloodwood, at appropriate places. Is that too graphic? I've got enough bloodwood to make a thousand or more of them. If anyone wants some
edit: <b>bloodwood</b> for this purpose, I would be interested in a trade. I'd rather not sell it for this purpose. end of edit:
I wish I could see more of this kind of talk here. I know that it offends some, but it is good to see that many of you are not ashamed of Jesus, or your faith in Him. This might cost me some pen blank sales, but I just don't care. You people are an inspiration.[:)]

Tom McMillan

Rob--I look forward to what you come up with using the four woods!! In my 2 layer pen using BOW and Bloodwood I rasped through the BOW to reveal the Bloodwood, which to me is symbolic of the Blood Jesus shed for us on the Cross (check my album if you haven't seen this one). I also make these using Kingwood as the bottom layer---of course symbolic of the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. I'll have to look into getting some dogwood.

Here I go again.[:)] How about a BOW on the nib end, a kingwood w/ bloodwood cross for the clip end & a dogwood CB. I hope though that we do not become so superstitious about these items & always remember our Lord Jesus Christ.

BigRob777

I am posting this mainly to find out what a CB is (cross beam?). I am brand new to this form of woodwork and I still don't know all of the terms.
I also agree with Bill that we shouldn't get all caught up in fixating on symbolism, but it is nice to have a physical reminder of what our lives represent. All of the commands can be summed up in one word.[:)]LOVE[:)]
This isn't bad for a post that is over two months old. I didn't see the date, when I chipped in. I think I was doing a search on "Jesus". Trying to figure out how to work the search function. I couldn't even find it until yesterday.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by knottyharry
<br />Someone posted a pic recently of a pen with a cross inlaid into it.
I thought it was really neat, and had to try it.
This one is made of oak, and the cross is black walnut.
I did this with a slimline kit.
Harry

20054147658_oak-walnut-cross.jpg
<br />

That may have been me. My cross was done with a laser engraver. Compared to your craftsmanship, I took the lazy way. One day I'll experiment with the segmenting and inlaying stuff. Your pen looks great. Mine is reposted for comparision. Another note: I do make pens from both dogwood and Bethlehem olive wood with crosses, both are popular. But, as has been pointed out, we should remember that the legend of the Dogwood is from an ancient poem, it has no Biblical support. Just a nice story.

2005628134321_BOWFPWCROSS.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom