The pen that couldn't.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

So I have been on a break from pen turning but thought I'd turn one this weekend. I had a X-cut spalted maple blank glued up and ready to go so I turned it and and finished it and it was looking good. So tonight I went to assemble it and I left the trim rings out from the couplers on the lower barrel. No biggie, just disassemble and put them back in, right?
Wrong! This happened to be one of those blanks that the tube got stuck half way in so I cut it off and glued it in from the other side. Well cross cut and broken tubes Do Not make for a pen that can be disassembled. It broke right in half about the second hit with the persuader. Now I need a few couplers, anybody selling spares? [B)]:(
I guess I can stay on my pen break for awhile longer.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Oh my, Kevin. That's too bad. [:(] No really. Yet another reason I only use epoxy. Oh I tried CA and poly glues for tubes. I just wasn't happy with the fuss or the mess... though some have said the same of epoxy. I guess I've been using it so long that I've just developed a system.[:D]

Fangar

Grasshopper says:

1. Test fit the tubes to the drilled holes
2. Use thicker CA (It will bond slower)
3. Don't screw up in the first place! [:D]

Sorry to hear about your pen. Don't let it discourage you. I had some whoppers within the last month. It's all about what you can make out of the left overs now!

Fangar

vick

Kevin,
To bad those barrels looked real nice. I have to agrea with Billy I stopped using CA on tubes a long time ago.

You might want to post what kind of kit you need the couplers for. I think you told me it was a Baron, but not sure. Also if you do a solid body you can get by with just one, maybe Mr. B will have mercy on you and send you one on your next order.

Dario

Sorry to hear that Kevin,

I used CA once...and that is it for me. I am very happy with GG and will stick with it. I don't mind the wait...frustration of stuck tubes I can live without.

I have an embarrasing story to share...I am assembling my first flat top american last night and wondering why the twist mechanism is so loose in the top barrel...I ended up applying some CA inside to make the hole smaller. [:D]guess what...now I have a pen that won't retract because the twist mechanism is stuck!!! [:D][V][B)]

vick

Dario it could be worse you could have glued it when the tip was retracted. Then you would not even have a new house pen.

dubdrvrkev

I have used CA lots and never had any issues. I use GG when the holes are a little sloppy. It was just an unfortunate chain of events that lead to its demise. Although I look at it as a blessing in disguise. If I had sold that pen and the customer somehow broke it that would look pretty bad on me.

Yeah the couplers are for a Baron.

Dario

I agree with you Kevin...that is a blessing in disguise.

Just wondering...after the pen broke, why can't you take the couplers out now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom