Pen Chuck for dip pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

John, I flip the shaft around on the pen mill and use the non threaded end. I use the tail stock until it's almost done and then part the end almost off. I use a chisel or sharp knife to par off the rest without breaking it. I then made a custom jig from an old live center, but there are good centers that give you the option of threading a block of derlin and making your own.. I think the Derlin is the best material as the CA will not stick.

I finish sand the tip by hand and then this jig can be used to final sand the body and apply CA. I like the ball end because it makes the CA finish easier to "stop" at the end. ;)

225081.jpg

225082.jpg

225083.jpg

JohnStout

Thanks for all the wonderful info! I turned one with a collet chuck and regular pen mandrel between centers but my tool control with a piece of sandpaper wasn't too good and I wasn't happy with the end[|)]Gonna have to practice my sanding for sure.

Firefyter-emt

That was my problem, sanding the pen after parted off tended to not stay true and it was very hard to apply and sand CA without blowing thru.

That grizzly chuck looks like the tips might be a MT-0.

One bit of advise I have is to make the center hole after it's all on the live center. Mine was hard, I had to tape the wood to the body and true it up after I put it all togather. Somewhere down the line it had a wobble. I made the base bigger than the head because the live bearing is missing it's seal. I tried to get the bearing out to rebuild it, but failed.

Top Bottom