Pen 'casting' process.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NLAlston

I have seen some very cool looking examples of some pen turner's work, here, which had been casted. As I know absolutely NOTHING about what that's all about (but wanted to try), I'd like to know what I'd need to learn.

Ive just searched (as much as I, presently, could) to find the info that I need, but could come across other examples.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

I have seen some very cool looking examples of some pen turner's work, here, which had been casted. As I know absolutely NOTHING about what that's all about (but wanted to try), I'd like to know what I'd need to learn.

Ive just searched (as much as I, presently, could) to find the info that I need, but could come across other examples.

Try this.

Attachments

• iap casting.jpg
    iap casting.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 247

jttheclockman

There is a whole forum titled Blank Making and a sub title called casting blanks.
You can spends months here just reading on this topic. Have specific questions check back here. But no one is going to tell you how to cast blanks. Done many ways with many different materials. Good luck.

Terredax

Banned
Finding information that directly relates to a specific question, can be daunting.

The first thing you need to do is determine the type of casting you want to do. That will dictate the best resin for the intended purpose.
If you are unsure of exactly what you intend to do, contact a manufacturer and talk to them about their products. That should yield the answers and correct resin for your application.

Once the resin is determined, you will need something to color the resin. Some resins will dictate what can be used, but for the most part, powdered pigments generally work well with most resins.

Then there are the supplies that are required for mixing the resin.

I also recommend an approved respirator.

Then mix the resin per the included instructions, add the color and pour into a mold.

That is just a quick start to guide you. There is good information all over the internet and there are probably some videos on YT. I'm a bit weary of those though, because some people give bad advice and are simply dangerous. Not just with casting, but in general.

If you can find a reputable caster close to you, they may allow you to stop by and get a quick lesson. Some people learn better visually rather than text.

Just remember, there are a lot of variables that can and will affect the resin.

NLAlston

Go to youtube.com and check out pen wizard casting, parts 1 and 2.

Hi again, JimmyZ.

I did watch those two YouTube videos, last night, and what the poster showed was EXACTLY the type of thing that I am interested in. Just casting 'basic' blanks wasn't something which really interested me (at least, not yet). I know that I wasn't as descriptive as I should've been, in my initial post, but I'm leaning much more towards blanketing elements IN resin.

When I saw how a section of rattlesnake skin was set in resin, for a pen blank, I knew that you had hit the nail on its head, for me :). I only wish that I'd seen this earlier, for I would have used this when my grandson received his very first haircut, a few months ago. It would have been so nice to have made a couple of nice pens, for the family, with his hair embedded in the blank.

But, I am now sitting with a host of other ideas to incorporate with this process.

Once again, I thank you so much.

NLAlston

Well, I JUST found out that our daughter DID save some of my grandson's hair, from his first, and only (at this time) haircut. So, it is very shortly that i WILL be ordering what I'd need to get into that project. Of course (seeing as how I've never done this kind of work, before), I will practice, first, on some other elements.

But I am SO EXCITED about this :).

jttheclockman

Well, I JUST found out that our daughter DID save some of my grandson's hair, from his first, and only (at this time) haircut. So, it is very shortly that i WILL be ordering what I'd need to get into that project. Of course (seeing as how I've never done this kind of work, before), I will practice, first, on some other elements.

Do not get overly excited and do some reading and practice. There are threads here that have touched on this. may not be as easy as you may think.

www.penturners.org/forum/f43/dog-hair-49307/

NLAlston

Do not get overly excited and do some reading and practice. There are threads here that have touched on this. may not be as easy as you may think.

www.penturners.org/forum/f43/dog-hair-49307/

Oh, it is for certain that I WON'T :).

Yes, my excitement level is very high, but I won't forego that of arming myself with as much knowledge as I can, to better insure myself against failure, or disappointment of any measurable degree. I will order what will be needed, and know that I will be anxious to get busy. But I also know that I must outfit myself with a good handle of understanding, before I could even THINK about settling in to the effort.

thewishman

Nathan, it isn't THAT scary. For my first pen blank, my mold was a divot in some wet playdoh and I left that puddle of resin in the garage to cure. It came out fine and I'm still proud to show it off.

The first time you try it will be crazy trying to make sure everything is perfect, and you'll leave something out, or do it in the wrong order. The second time will be worse, because you think that you'll remember everything from the first attempt.

When you do feel comfortable with the process, save some of the hair, just in case something does go wrong.

Don't feel hesitant in asking questions, people that do resin casting all had a first time. Please let us know how you're doing as you get started.:)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Yes, by all means stay excited! Be reasonable (and it seems you are), but stay excited as the journey will be much more exciting.

Looking forward to seeing your efforts.

Have FUN!

Keep asking questions, as other casters (mostly) actually will give you pointers.

NLAlston

Nathan, it isn't THAT scary. For my first pen blank, my mold was a divot in some wet playdoh and I left that puddle of resin in the garage to cure. It came out fine and I'm still proud to show it off.

The first time you try it will be crazy trying to make sure everything is perfect, and you'll leave something out, or do it in the wrong order. The second time will be worse, because you think that you'll remember everything from the first attempt.

When you do feel comfortable with the process, save some of the hair, just in case something does go wrong.

Don't feel hesitant in asking questions, people that do resin casting all had a first time. Please let us know how you're doing as you get started.:)

Your words mean much, to me, Chris. Thank you.

NLAlston

Yes, by all means stay excited! Be reasonable (and it seems you are), but stay excited as the journey will be much more exciting.

Looking forward to seeing your efforts.

Have FUN!

Keep asking questions, as other casters (mostly) actually will give you pointers.

Thanks to you, too, Mark.

chartle

One thing to be aware of is that PR stinks as in your SO yelling at you to "take that stuff outside" stink. :) Sort of like burning Styrofoam stink.

I can only cast in warm weather in the basement with multiple fans blowing air out the door to the outside. I also wear a carbon respirator.

I once thought of making a fume hood with a fan to the outside.

I've been told Aumilite doesn't smell but you need pressure to keep it bubble free.

Last edited:
Top Bottom