Pen cap advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FineTurning

Hi,

I make semi-kitless and kitless pens but have had a request for a number of "kitless-style" rollerballs with some custom engraving.

The client does not want screw caps! Anyone have any suggestions/guides as to how to make a long lasting/reliable push fit cap from ebonite?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FineTurning

You can find Parker style clutches at: www.richardlgreenwald.com. Don't know if he has the matching rings. Parker "51" has Parker 51 clutch rings and I have seen Parker 45 clutch rings on Ebay. Can't help you on what fits what but the Parker clutches are very positive and seem to last forever.

Hope this helps,
Bill

Great thanks,

Surely I can just cut the ring into the part I would normally thread the glue one of the springs into a cap inside? Or do you think the metal on ebon would wear to quickly

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Welcome aboard Matt. :biggrin:
We love sharing here and I'm sure many would like to see your kitless endeavours. Very few people can even read or write so we rely on pictures..:rolleyes:

If you are a bit adventurous, then there are several ways to attach a cap.
Screw threads, snap cap, jam fit, magnets, bayonet etc

Here's a link to a bayonet style I made a while ago.

Don't be shy:biggrin:

bmachin

Take a look at this page:
RichardsPens.com • Pens That Write Right!

The spring fingers are resting on the ring to provide a friction fit. Your ebony is pretty hard, but I would be concerned with wear over time just from sliding on and off thousands of times.

I don't know how good a seal you need to keep a rollerball from drying out, but the clutch will not help you here.

If cost is an issue on the ring you could easily fabricate one from just about anything if you have a metal lathe. If you don't you could use brass or aluminum on a wood lathe.

Richard Greenwald specifically mentions vintage Parker pens on the pages for his clutches. as a point of reference, the diameter of the ring on my 1949 "51" is right at 11mm.

Here is the direct link to the clutches:
https://richardlgreenwald.com/?s=clutch&post_type=product

Bill

FineTurning

Take a look at this page:
RichardsPens.com • Pens That Write Right!

The spring fingers are resting on the ring to provide a friction fit. Your ebony is pretty hard, but I would be concerned with wear over time just from sliding on and off thousands of times.

I don't know how good a seal you need to keep a rollerball from drying out, but the clutch will not help you here.

If cost is an issue on the ring you could easily fabricate one from just about anything if you have a metal lathe. If you don't you could use brass or aluminum on a wood lathe.

Richard Greenwald specifically mentions vintage Parker pens on the pages for his clutches. as a point of reference, the diameter of the ring on my 1949 "51" is right at 11mm.

Here is the direct link to the clutches:
https://richardlgreenwald.com/?s=clutch&post_type=product

Bill

Yes cost is an issue, U.K. Based so it pretty much doubles costs after postage and tax. I might try making some of the springs, or bite the bullet and cut into my margins. Pretty sure I could make the ring.

Thanks for the links :)

FineTurning

Welcome aboard Matt. :biggrin:
We love sharing here and I'm sure many would like to see your kitless endeavours. Very few people can even read or write so we rely on pictures..:rolleyes:

If you are a bit adventurous, then there are several ways to attach a cap.
Screw threads, snap cap, jam fit, magnets, bayonet etc

Here's a link to a bayonet style I made a while ago.

Don't be shy:biggrin:

Wow nice, I don't know if I will try that for this one but I think I found my next own project pen.

And simple snap cap guides or pics?

I'll post some pics when I can find some time to xfer from camera :biggrin:

FineTurning

First time posting pics so hope it works.....

That's the other pen I made him, plundered a kit as he wanted chrome section and I don't have metal lathe. He wants similar, but in purple with mallee and not a screw cap. I was going to make the section myself this time as he doesn't care if it's metal or plastic.

Attachments

• IMG_7416.jpg
    IMG_7416.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_7414.jpg
    IMG_7414.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_7415.jpg
    IMG_7415.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 263

bmachin

Probably a longshot, but you might be able to find a decrepit Parker "45" on ebay that's located in the UK at an affordable price and cannibalize it. With luck, you might even find just a 45 cap. Don't go for a Parker "21". It's a lot cheaper, but is purely a friction fit--no clutch.

bmachin

Long term memory is just kicking in. Schmidt makes a rollerball front end that takes international fountain pen ink cartridges or converters. I ships with a snap-on plastic cap that can be incorporated into your pen cap. Here is the link to Schmidt's catalog; scroll down to page 20:
http://www.schmidttechnology.de/en/schreibgeraete/download/SCHMIDT-catalogue_en.pdf

These units can also be directly swapped out for fountain pen nibs.

Have no idea who the UK dealer for these might be, although they are available from several sources in the US.

Just another idea.

Bill

Top Bottom