pen and bushing and adding CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wfsteadman

Greetings folks, I am sure this question may have been asked before but was not really sure what to search for. I am getting my lathe in the next couple of weeks, so right now I am in the research phase and I keep asking myself what is the smartest way to get the pen blanks sanded down to the right dimensions so that after CA type coatings or whatever coating is used, the pen itself is flush with the fittings. I keep thinking that if I flush the blank, then when I put on the coating, it will be a bit larger than the fittings. So I know this is a simple matter of deciding if I sand the blank a bit thinner than the bushings or not sure how the best way to address this would be. Again, new guy who is doing all the pen turning in my mind only at this point. Can't wait to get the lathe and start trying out these things.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Lots of possibilities here. Some do slightly overturn their blanks, then build back up to component/bushing dimensions with CA.

Personally, I don't do high build finishes, so it's not really an issue for me - I just turn to about fingernail thickness proud of my final dimensions so that sanding will take it down to final size. Sometimes when my turning is smooth enough to start sanding at 300 or 400 grit, I'll turn the blanks even closer to final size.

Definitely get a set of digital calipers (about $10 at Harbor Freight) and always measure your kit parts. There can be slight variations from kit to kit & bushings, and bushings can wear down from tool hits & sanding.

KBs Pensnmore

What Edgar says is what I do also, the only extra thing I do, is to get hold of a paper punch 1/4" and fold up some copier paper about 5-6 layers thick and put them between the blanks and bushings. Running an exacto knife around the paper joint, allows the CA to break away from the pen and bushings, requiring only a light sanding on the ends.
Kryn

leehljp

Member Liaison
I will add another suggestion and that is "turning between centers". I take the bushings off after getting it near to size and turn between the (live and drive) centers of the lathe. Of course at this point, you need to use calipers to determine the size.

Measuring by calipers gives far better fit than by determining the size by the bushings. You can go back to the beginning of this forum and find information that bushings should be considered "consumables" because they will wear down with touches by the chisel and sandpaper. Bushings will change size between 10 to 30 blanks due to that. Caliper measuring will be consistent to the need, and not determined by the changing size of the bushings.

Starting pen making by using calipers will improve your pen making at the beginning and you won't have to learn a new method when you decide to step up to a higher level of fit and finish.

Turning between centers helps with the sticky bushing situation too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom