Pen box panic - help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Munsterlander

Rush order for wedding this weekend, pens need to go in wooden boxes and have a brass plate on the box with the bride's and groom's names / date. 2 of the pens won't fit in the boxes - slightly too thick. I've purchased the oversized box and the multi-purpose box with the large pen insert from PSI, but the pens are about 1/32" or so thicker than the box is deep, so the lid doesn't sit flat.

I leave to go out of town on vacation Thursday - so order today, fedex, deliver tomorrow night is my last shot - so I need to order two more boxes and know they really will hold the pens.

The pens are _not_ huge - it's just a tycoon and a jr gentlemen with a relative minor convex shape on each barrel. (went back and measured - both barrels are just shy of 3/4" at widest point, but both of course have a clip as well.)

So can someone pls recommend a pen box that you are absolutely sure will hold a larger pen?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

That's unfortunate. If I had more time, I could make a couple boxes, minus the brass plate, but there's no possible way to have it done this week even. Worse case scenario, I'll suggest the leatherette box that Beartooth woods sells. It's not a bad looking case, black leather on the outside and a nice white satin interior. It fits a gent pen. The loop is a bit tight with a gent, but it will stretch after some use and the lid will close no problem.

igran7

I ran into the same problem with a box I purchased from PSI, that was designed to fit the Majestic. I tried putting a Statesman in and the box lid wouldn't close all the way. If your box is similiar you can cut out the bottom portion of the black insert so the pen rests on the wood box bottom instead of the black "pad" It'll give you about another 3/32"

It worked for me in a pinch. Good luck.

Munsterlander

Yeah, I was thinking about cutting the bottom of the pad out and just putting black paper underneath instead.

What I've done is order 2 of the Havana boxes from CSUSA - the literature says it will hold a pen with a diameter of up to 3/4", and there's actually sort of a nested / double well design - deepest part holds the pen upper part is cut out even wider to make it easier to get to the pen - and I'm hoping the clip will be able to fit in that part. Had to pay $28 just for overnighting two of these. I'll post how it turns out. Definitely will be letting PSI know what I think of their "oversized" and "designed for a Majestic" multi-purpose boxes.

Jeff, I did look at the leatherettes, but the customer wanted wood for everything, and in particular didn't think the plate would look as good on leatherette.

It's nice to have the business, but I could do without the frantic rush...

heinedan

Kallenshan woods made 2 gorgous boxes for me to put my nephews wedding pens in. He did the engraving right on top of the custom made boxes. He will make the boxes to fot any pen.

Dan

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I think the Havanna is a fairly short pen - it's thick, but will it be long enough?

Kallenshaan might be the way to go...else, they have some very large display cases for single pens at PSI for about 10 dollars...they'll be big, but I'm not sure if that's what your'e looking for...

Munsterlander

I think the Havanna is a fairly short pen - it's thick, but will it be long enough?

Kallenshaan might be the way to go...else, they have some very large display cases for single pens at PSI for about 10 dollars...they'll be big, but I'm not sure if that's what your'e looking for...

It's called a Havana box, but not because it was designed specifically for that pen - at least from what I could tell in the picture it looks like it handles a full-length pen. Guess I'll know in about 12 hours or so...

Munsterlander

The Havana boxes arrived (good ol' CSUSA) and are good. The picture is deceiving - it doesn't have a "step well" (or at least it doesn't now), but it is definitely wide enough and deep enough for those bigger pens. I've only made Jr versions of the bigger pens (Gentlemen, Emperor, Majestic), so can't say about the biggest of the big, but there appears still to be a decent amount of room around my Gentlemen Jr (length and width). The only very minor complaint is that it doesn't come in a cardboard protective box like the ones from PSI.

Top Bottom