Pen Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Irish Pat

Can someone tell what type of blank could I use with a high end pen.I've turned both Wood and basic acrylics but I want something a bit better,a different type of acrylic,I don't know much about resins or who to get them from?:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

Check out the vendor forums under IAP market place. You have several to choose from in addition to the big guys like CSUSA or PSI. As for type, the options are many. Fancy burls, worthless wood, feathers, watch parts, polymer clay, tru-stone, historic wood, and the list goes on.

turncrazy43

How about burl caps and acrylic in a mold, i.e. turntex, banksia pods with resin, pine cones with resin. They make nice blanks and the resin color is up to you. Just a thought.

longbeard

Hi Pat, maybe if you could tell us what pen components your wanting to use, might help us help you to decide on what would be a nice blank to match the pen. Just a thought.

avbill

For High End pens

Wood: Exotic wood with Extreme grain, burls, or historic woods. Hondurus Rosewood

Acrylics It depends on many accounts. Color, pattern from the acrylic mix, depth of the color. I like many of the Italian Acrylics & Lucites, why b/c there less regulation on colors. Too many laws in the states for color saturation.

<<<>>>

Study the different pen manufacturers on what sell they to the wealthy Look at what they are doing. Look at the different magazines for pens

Be sure you are coordinating the blanks color with the Kit's plating Too many turners miss the boat on this.

go to venues that support high end pens

hope this helps

Jim Smith

I would suggest that you also consider Trustone blanks. They can be a bit of a pain to turn, but they always produce a beautiful pen.

Jim Smith

walshjp17

I believe he means "Irish Bog Oak" and using "Pens Plus" finish to complete it. I have used neither but have seen it referred to in the forums.CdirtO

Apologies. That is exactly what I meant. IBO does not look well with a CA finish. It is too nice of a timber to be covered with a plastic finish. Pens Plus (available from Doctor's Woodshop Home) provides a really nice "soft" glossy finish and it brings out the best in really nicely figured woods.

Top Bottom