Which pen blank vise?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobW

I just purchased a used full sized drill press this past weekend, with a 4" quill travel, and think a real vise might make drilling easier. I've been using a homemade vise since I started turning pens earlier this year. It functions, but doesn't hold the wood too solid. I've been wondering if a real vise would be worth the cash. I've seen the Woodcraft model, and pictures of the PSI one, is there any difference besides cosmetic?

I can't justify the cash for the nice looking one that is being sold through this website, but if anyone has an opinion of which to get? OR, if anyone has a used to to get rid of.......

Rob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rduncan

I can't commant on any but the one I purchased at Woodcraft during on of their 15% off "Bag" Sales. I think it's the best investment I've ever made for penturning. I had been using a wooden clamp as I learned in a class for comparison.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by coach
<br />Wait until Paul in Oklahoma makes them again. Best vice you can buy!!!!!!!

I have to agree.

I would rather sell my DVR and go back to a jet mini than sell my vise from Paul and go back to my old one.(Lou coined this phrase, I embellished it a little) Matter of fact, you are a week late. I sold my woodcraft vise last week.

MDWine

I've never regretted buying good tools. I worked for a while without one, and wouldn't go back for anything! I have the woodcraft version, which works well. I don't know about the other one offered here, but it looks like a nice vice, and is highly regarded!

its_virgil

Paul's vice is worth every $$$ it costs. It is FAR superior to anything else sold by anyone. The reasons are numerous. There is a thread going on Y! penturners about this same thing. A superior tool.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />Wait until Paul in Oklahoma makes them again. Best vice you can buy!!!!!!!

jrc

My vice to hold blanks while drilling, On the handle that presses and holds the blank I have two sheet rock screws that extend 1/8' and pierces into the blank to help hold it. I works real good and have drilled over 10,000 with it. I'll try to get a photo this evening.

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Paul's vice is worth every $$$ it costs. It is FAR superior to anything else sold by anyone. The reasons are numerous. There is a thread going on Y! penturners about this same thing. A superior tool.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Poor guy isn't going to have any free time at all[:0]

Rod Torgeson

Rob......Here are a couple of pictures of my Pen Drilling Jig. Hope this helps.

200591734921_Pen%20Drilling%20Jig%20Front.jpg
<br />

20059174327_Pen%20Drilling%20Jig%20Side.jpg
<br />

its_virgil

There are pen drilling jigs, and then there are jigs and them even more jigs: homemade and commercial. There are pen drilling vises and more vises and even more vises, commercial and homemade and I still say the PHD vise is far above and beyond any I've used or seen used. But if someone has a vice or jig they are happy with, I say stay with it. If not, call Paul. I have no financial interest in any way with PHD Designs. Just a happy and satisfied customer.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

jb_pratt

I originally used the pen drilling vise sold by Craft Supplies. This vise lasted me about 2 weeks. The mechanism on the Craft Supplies vice are mostly plastic and stopped working. In typical Craft Supplies fashion they gave me a full refund for the vice. I then ordered the PSI drilling vice. The mechanism on this vice is mostly metal but I find that there is the least bit of play when drilling. This doesn’t cause a problem but the brass tubes fit ‘looser’ than that of the Craft Supplies vice so I have moved to using Gorilla Glue to glue the tubes into the blank. After reading all the posts on this site I have ordered and paid for one of Paul’s vices that are scheduled to ship the end of October. I’ll comment later on Paul’s compared to the PSI and CUSA vice’s.

Dario

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />Rod, that looks like a simple, effective method. I use a machinists cross-slide vice from Grizzly and it comes in handy for many more uses than pen blanks.

2005921212249_vice.jpg
<br />

Very nice vise...for $44.95 it looks reasonably priced considering what it can do.

jrc

Mine cost less than a dollar and quickly adjusts for different size blanks. The screws holds the blank tight. I can drill dozens of blanks in a few minutes and I have drilled over 10,000 blanks.

200592201037_press1.jpg
<br />

200592201053_press2.jpg
<br />

20059220117_press3.jpg
<br />

Thumbs

Rob, back to your original question. I have had and used both the Woodcraft and PSI model. I preferred the PSI model. I just replaced it with Paul's vise offered here on site. My PSI model is about 3 months old. Make me an offer by pm, including shipping, maybe we can deal.....

PenWorks

Originally posted by onewaywood
<br />Ok I gotta ask,,,,, who is Paul and how do I get a hold of him ????

It's the best kept secret, no one will tell you, because we all are on his waiting list for new tools. [:D]

So you did't get this from me [8D]

http://www.penturners.org/forum/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=447

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by onewaywood
<br />Ok I gotta ask,,,,, who is Paul and how do I get a hold of him ????
Here I am[:D][:D] E-mail me through the group. I think I have one left available for this batch. Will be making 30!!( I hope my wife and kids remember what I look like when I get done[:p])

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom