pen blank size?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalai

Hi everyone, I have just joined IAP and I am new to pen turning, I have been turning bowls for about 30 years but just now started turning pens. I have a questions about the size of the pen blanks you folks prefer to use, I noticed there are a lot of different sizes like 1x1x5.5 , 15/16x15/16x6 and even 5/8x5/8x5, any hepl in this matter would be great. Thanks

Kalai

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I doubt there is a 'standard'. But most kits will do fine with a 3/4"X3/4"X5 1.2" blank and that is what most sellers offer. For some larger kits like full sized Gents, Emperors, etc. up to 1"X1"X6" can be a better choice.

Fred

I always try to get my blanks to fit the size of the kit I am using. If I cut my own from stock I will cut them square in regards to the thickness of the board, i.e., 3/4" board = 3/4x3/4" blanks, etc. I do not however like the 1/2" as I never have room to turn them IF the blanks have any type of fault(s), knot holes, cracks, etc. Most of the wood will become shavings so I figure why waste all the wood! [:D]

Check out our library, there are answers to questions you didn't even think about yet.

BTW - Welcome to IAP

http://www.penturners.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=45

also

http://www.penturners.org/content/BuildingOnTheBasics.pdf

mrcook4570

It really depends on how accurate your drill setup is, and how much confidence you have in its repeatability. A 3/4x3/4 blank is big enough for a gent/emperor and a 5/8x5/8 blank is more than sufficient for a baron. You can even get by with a 3/8x3/8 blank for a slim.

Rudy Vey

Well, size matters!! For large pens like the Gentleman, Emperor etc one needs a larger blank (3/4 to 1") than for a slimline. There a 1/2 " can be working out just fine. If you are good in drilling, a blank just a smidgen larger than the bushing diameter will be enough. I have made Barons out of very small blanks, that were normally just good enough for slimlines (the blank was about 1mm larger than the bushing diameter).
This is pretty much true for pens that have no (B2B)or only a very small bulge. Here on our forum are some friends that make very thick ("pregnant") pens, not my personal taste.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />It really depends on how accurate your drill setup is, and how much confidence you have in its repeatability. A 3/4x3/4 blank is big enough for a gent/emperor and a 5/8x5/8 blank is more than sufficient for a baron. You can even get by with a 3/8x3/8 blank for a slim.

True, my X-slide vise has some slop, if I'm off a tiny bit the blank can be ruined if I am drilling for a Gent into a 3/4" blank. Not saying it can't be done, or I haven't done it, but the larger blanks allow some 'fudge' room.

cdcarter

Rifle,

I agree with you. When I'm drilling something bigger than 1/2 inch, I like a little breathing room. When I'm doing a bunch of big ones, I just buy some 1x1 or 2x2 pieces and cut them down.

Carl

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />
Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />It really depends on how accurate your drill setup is, and how much confidence you have in its repeatability. A 3/4x3/4 blank is big enough for a gent/emperor and a 5/8x5/8 blank is more than sufficient for a baron. You can even get by with a 3/8x3/8 blank for a slim.

True, my X-slide vise has some slop, if I'm off a tiny bit the blank can be ruined if I am drilling for a Gent into a 3/4" blank. Not saying it can't be done, or I haven't done it, but the larger blanks allow some 'fudge' room.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
For those of us who also do inside out ornaments, 1x1x6 is really nice for single "shell" ornaments or the inside of "double shell" ornaments.

GK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom