Pen Blank Size?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dscm1

I am going to make my next step up in pen kits. All I have do to this point have been slimline. I dont want to make it too difficult so I am looking for a kit that would not need a taper. So far the kits of choice would be Baron, cigar, european, and polaris. Are there any others out there that would work? Also with a bigger pen does that mean I have to get Jumbo pen blanks?
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nolan

I found on CSUSA site and AS (Arizona Silhouette) under kit instructions that the list recomended blank size.
Nolan

Skye

Not sure what you mean by 'taper'. I think about all those look better with some curves to them. The Polaris, especially, isn’t going to look right turned bushing to bushing. What's the diversion to putting a little curve to your turnings?

gerryr

Take the recommended blank size as just that, a recommendation. I made a Version 1 Jr. Gentlemen from a 5/8" blank, but the recommendaton was 3/4". Drilling it was a bit hairy, but if you can drill accurately, you can often use a smaller size blank.

If you're worried about whether or not you can do gently curved pens, get some junk wood and practice. You can always cut the wood off the tubes and reuse them. You can also buy just the tubes, they're cheap. I always have extra tubes around.

GBusardo

If you have a bunch of smaller blanks around, you can always try and do some comfort/soft grip pens, or maybe even click pens (Pro?). The taper is no big deal, try it, you will surprise yourself!! Don't be shy to use some 150 grit sandpaper to ease the taper breaks if you need to.
Good Luck!

fuzzydog

Consider the Father Sing. It a slim line on steroids, larger CB but same tip size. It also requires cutting a tenon (all the way to the brass) on the upper barrel for the CB. So you have two lessons in one pen, a slight taper and a small tenon.
Check it out at CSUSA:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=050-0400

The Polaris of PSI and its counter part the Atlas from Arizona silhouette are also nice transitions from the slim line.
Happy Turning
David

Dario

Ever considered Berea's Sierra?

As far as I am concerned it can be the easiest pen to make (if you have the correct bushing [;)])

Also...once you've done one, I believe you can make almost all of them. Sure, some have more steps but they are not that much more difficlt...just read the instructions and know what you have to do [;)]. Having a tenon on some seems to be a major concern as well as step drilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom