Pen Blank Dye

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent

Just wanted to know if anyone has had any luck dying their own pen blanks. If so what kind of dye did you use and did you use a vacuume chamber. Brent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

I have used analine dye on maple burl. I turned to about 1/16" over size then dipped in for about a minute and let dry. After turning to size, the softer wood stayed the color, while the harder wood was the natural. Looked very cool. I will try to find a pic and post it.

low_48

I've used this product with great success. It's very concentrated and puts on incredible color. I put it on with a Q-tip, wipe it dry with a paper towel, then start up the lathe and burnish first with the paper towel and sometimes some of the wood curls. Clear finish as usual. I've also seen this at Hobby Lobby. The first link is a crimson dyed soft maple, the second link is for an online source.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1467&SearchTerms=dyed,pen

http://www.dickblick.com/zz253/12a/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=1485

Rich

its_virgil

In my folder are pens dyed with aniline dye. Turn, sand and apply dye with a Q-tip (lathe turning). Dry with a cloth, sand with last grit again and finish. Turns out nicely. Take a look.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Brent
<br />Just wanted to know if anyone has had any luck dying their own pen blanks. If so what kind of dye did you use and did you use a vacuume chamber. Brent

Brent

Thanks for the help guys, I am going to try some soon and Virgil I did click on your site and I must say you are quite an artist.

its_virgil

Serge,
Cotton ball on the end of a strick = Q-tip. I have caled it a Q-tip for so long I don't even know what its actual name is. Your pkg will be sent today or tomorrow. Sorry for the delay but I'm waiting for a special blank to send you and I think I found some yesterday.

Brent,
thanks for looking and the compliment. Try some dye, it is fun. I'll bet Ritz dye or some other dye will work. I was told that some of the fabric dye, like Ritz, is actually aniline dye. I have not found any but looking. It sure would be cheaper at Walmart than at Woodcraft. A small 1 oz. bottle was about $9.00.

do a good turn daily!

Don
Originally posted by Darley
<br />Escuse me for a minute but what is a Q-tip [?] ( maybe a coton ball on a stick ? )

Serge

Darley

Thank both of you, different country, different meaning, same product [8D].We call that cotton buds.

Don don't worries you got some priority first beside I can do 5 to 6 hours per week of turning [:(], to busy at work and I'm behind my Christmas presy + I want enter to the contest .

Cheer

Serge

Darley

Brent and all members of IAP I been using my own dye who as been giving to me by and old QLD woodturner.

<center>Ebonizing Rust Stain</center>

A few household ingredients will create a potent chemical stain that will profoundly change the wood with a high tannin content, especially Oak and Walnut.

Ingredients :

Apple cider vinegar
1 steel wool pad
3 table spoons of salt
2 hand of old rusty nails ( steel not galvanized )
½ cup a water in a spray bottle

You will need a bucket or ice cream container ( I use a long one ) to contain the mixture, undo the steel wool toss in the old nails, put the salt in a spray bottle with the water give a good shake to dissolve the salt and spray the steel wool and nails until the bottle is empty. Let the mixture sit for a few days toss every day it may be necessary to spray the steel wool and nails with plain water to promote as much rust build up as possible. The steel wood pad should lose at least 70 to 80 %. The longer you wait for rust, the better.

When the water is completely evaporate add ½ cup of apple cider vinegar let sit for 15 minutes strain and seal in a glass bottle, Keep for a year, if the mixture turn green by the time you finished it the result will not be as astounding.

To apply wipe down your pen or project with a wet rag to rise the grain allow the surface to dry sand it lightly with your last sanding grit, apply the stain with a foam paint brush, after the coat is dry sand it again and apply another coat or until colour is reached . Sanding will become less necessary with each additional coat as you do not sand too much from the surface.

Serge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom