Pen blank drilling jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottydont

A fellow on another forum posted this clever pen blank drilling jig. I plan to make one and I will let you know what I think.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/onestopshopcatalog_1816_223699068

drl-jig1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

William Young

That is quite an innovative design. Unless I am missing something in the design I cannot see how it would be self centering like my self centering one but for drilling multiple blanks of exaxcly the same size, it should work just great.
W.Y.

low_48

I agree that his fixture is quite interesting, good thinking, but limited in range. It is really made for nicely squared, even sized stock. The cams are nearly bottomed out and will lift almost out of the fixture if the stock is larger.

wayneis

The way that is designed the cams will not hold the blank down when you lift the bit. You could use the small toggle clamps and get much better holding power. But you still will have to square all of your blanks before drilling. I have squared up a few using my Gripper and the table saw and that worked really good. Most of the time I don't bother though. I just use the PSI jig and drill away.

In fact for all who think that its not a good product, I use it to drill holes for the Gent and Statesman in 3/4" blanks and have not blown one yet. They suggest a 7/8" sq. blank. I just completed a statesman using the Hut Poly Pearl which was 3/4" and I only ended up with 3/32" left on the edges and it didn't melt, (lots of water).

Wayne

G

Do y'all clamp your jigs down?
I made a couple of "V" blocks for my DP vice and "adjust for center" and drill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom