Pen Blank Cut Off Saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

Over the past several months, I have seen many different examples of how the members of this association cut their pen blanks to rough length. What I want to show is how I have started to cut my blanks.

I purchased the Ryobi 18 volt Miter Saw from Home Depot about two months ago and last Saturday I had to trim some oak hardwood flooring to length for a project I was working on. So, while I had the saw set up, I pulled out some pieces of walnut crotch slabs that I had purchased from Rockler when they had it on sale and had ripped into square pieces. I set up a stop block at 5 inches in length and cut about thirty pen blanks on this new miter saw.

It worked great and gave s perfectly square and smooth cut on the ends. The best thing about it is that it uses standard 7 1/4 inch saw blades. I replaced the one that came with it with a Diablo 60 tooth blade made by Freud. The blade kerf is only 1/16th of an inch compared to the 1/8 of an inch of my table saw and the large 10 inch miter saw I was using previously. The saw only weighs around 15 pounds, and takes up about 13 by 14 inches on the work bench, and that makes it easy to set up and put away after the blanks are all cut. The price saw not bad either. If you already have the batteries the saw cost $99 otherwise it cost $149.

Here is what the saw looks like:

View in Gallery

Last edited:

SDB777

Sounds like a great item for the hobbyist shop where space is limited. The battery part is sort of a 'bummer' for me....I've never had long term satisfaction with anything 'battery'.

Be nice to see this post come back around in about two years to see how this is still performing :biggrin:

Scott (updates please) B

eharri446

I have been using the RYOBI 18+ line of products for several years and have had consistently good results with their products. I have everything from a 3/8 variable speed reversible drill up to a small portable fan which all use the same battery packs. This saw is ideal for what I need most times, however, if I need more horsepower I can break out my RIGID 10" Miter Saw, however, it is large and heavy and with the stand it takes up a large amount of floor space.

Top Bottom