Pen Blank Bandsaw Sled

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Hey guys,

I had a chance to finish up a pen sled for my bandsaw today. I made it pretty much the way one would, except I added a stop that allows a length to be set and then repeated over and over. Complete with Red Mallee Burl Knob (Never toss those little cutoffs :)). Here are some photos. The sled is 1/4" plywood, and with Bolivian Rosewood pieces. I had a nice piece of hard rosewood that I used for the track rail. The stop is made of a clevis pin, a 1/4" x 20 threaded rod, and a 1/4" - 20 threaded anchor. Works great.

P.S. Thanks to Bob Swartzengruber for the initial design (IAP Home Page).

Cheers,

Fangar

blanksled1.jpg

blanksled2.jpg

blanksled3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

Looks nice, much more elabrate than mine. I considered a stop but then thought "nah, too much work for pen blanks," a line works for me.

JimGo

Instead of a stop with a drilled holes, could you use a threaded bolt with some lock washers, so that you could more finely control its placement?

Fangar

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Instead of a stop with a drilled holes, could you use a threaded bolt with some lock washers, so that you could more finely control its placement?

Jim,

Actually, the holes in the picture are misleading. The clevis pin that I had laying around is the adjustable type, so it was predrilled. I am not using the holes. Just a threaded 1/4 - 20 bolt. It makes contact with the clevis pin and fritcion holds it in place.

James

alamocdc

Looks good, James. I put a stop block system on mine as well, but I used the more traditional method of extruded aluminum channel. Bought it on sale at Rockler a few years back and decided now was as good a time as any to put it to use. However, I only used 1/8 inch plywood for the base and I'm now wishing I'd gone to 1/4 like you did. I'll put that one in the lessons learned file!

Fangar

3/4" would be fine. Very sturdy. Easier to countersink the screws from the bottom. I always use what I have lying around. I am a pack rat when it comes wood. I always end up using a small scrap from another project. I love being able to complete an idea from start to finish without going to the store.

James

MDWine

Nicely done! I like that you used a 'finer' wood for the materials. It makes using a tool like that more enjoyable, I think.

I want to make one, but I weigh the time against other things... I'll get to it sooner or later. (For now, I can admire yours!) [:D]

dubdrvrkev

That is a spitting image of mine, minus the c-clamp and stop block.

For people thinking about making one, it only takes 15 min or so and will save you that much time very quickly. Not too mention your blanks need very little squaring. Since making it, I cut much closer to tube length than before. It also helps if you are cutting an odd piece, I used it to machine my manzanita root and it makes things alot easier to keep straight and safe by allowing you to push on the fence and keep your fingers away from the blade.

BTW Mike theres nothing wrong with yours.

Fangar

Originally posted by WoodChucker
<br />Very nice, it looks great! Mine is more on the simple side but it works good.

Looks great Chucker! I like the stop block donw the track there. Another simple, but good idea. Nice looking saw too. Is that a Jet 14"? Nice wide blade. I am going to get a 1/2" blade this weak.

James

Daniel

Purty little thing, Now this is not ment to put down anyones sled. But I really appreciate when a woodworker goes all out to make even there tools look like they put some of there craft into it. there was once a time when a craftsmans tools where there resume. when hand tools where all there where. and most people had to make there own, there where some mighty fine hammer handles and such. I hope to one day fill my shop with the same sort of advertisments. but I to fall prey to the ready made simplicity.

jrc

My band saw sled is opposite from all others. I find it to be safer and easier to use. The moving blade is at a safer distance away from you hands.

200552010425_sled-1.jpg
<br />

200552010444_sled-2.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom