pen barrel finishes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

enderle

I've tried several of the off-the shelf finishes (HUT, Varathane, etc.) and even tried CA glue to make pen barrels shine. I still can't quite get the gloss I'm looking for. Any hints? (I sand up to 1200 grit first, then seal, then coat).
Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Hi Bob
CA has a very high shine but you have to work a little .
Apply several coats of CA sanding after every 2 or 3 coats after you build up your finish coat and sand , then you need to buff it to get the best shine , use white diamond on a buffing wheel and buff then clean off the blank and see if it shines enough if not buff again till you get the shine you want .
I use a buffing wheel kit (from the orange box store) in my drill press

woodworker

Have you tried Micro-Mesh abrasive sheets? If you go in successive sanding steps from your 1200 grit to a 4000, 6000, 8000, and 12000 Micro-Mesh, Your wood will shine like it is plastic coated. I usually just wax after that but you can use the finish of your choice.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Patience, practice, experience. I'll bet that 95% of the people here spent days and weeks getting their shines to be consistent. It is rare for a one day wonder to hit it, but it "has" happened. It doesn't usually come just by trying once, or twice, or three times.

Don't look at it with the mindset that - it didn't work for you. Look at it from the perspective that - it does for many many people, and then do what they did to get there - practice, practice, patience and build on the experiences. I am the slow one here - I did make my third pen with a great CA shiny finish. But it took me 1 1/2 years to do a consistent shine each time. Look at what you want to do, be determined to do it and practice.

There are quite a few ways to do a shine; each person has his own techniques, and each arrived at it by practice and work. Some do BLO first, some After CA, some without BLO altogether; some in multiple thin coats, some with a few thin coats; others with a few medium to thick coats; some with sealing with thin and build up with medium or thick. Some use paper towel to apply it, some use non-stick pads, a few use the small packs that pen parts come in and a few use rubber/latex gloves to apply the CA. I will say that you need fine fine sandpaper, micromesh or like sanding material. Go to it! It can be done!

PS, Any relation to "Rob Enderle"? ;)

RonInSpringTX

I'm yet to try the CA finish, dunno if I have the patience for it!! I've had good luck with sanding from 220/320, 400,600 ...etc up to 12,000 micromesh (may as well be called plastic!!) then depending on the wood, finish with 3 or 4 light coats of spray on polyurethane. (light sanding between each coat...400-800 grit) not the more exotic woods like cocobolo, bocote, some rosewoods that have oils inside. I learned that lesson on a cocobolo bottle stopper, it was still sticky after 5 days, took off the poly with some mineral spirits, then used the carnuba & finished with Ren wax..... gorgeous!!

Top Bottom