pen assembly press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

chigdon

We need to convince someone like Paul or Fred to design and build a better press. If I could buy an equivalent of Paul's vice I would pay for a quality press.

cueman

I have always used an arbor press for assembling my pens and have been very happy with it. You could probably find a used one fairly cheap, or a new 1/2 ton press runs about $40.00 or so.

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by chigdon
<br />We need to convince someone like Paul or Fred to design and build a better press. If I could buy an equivalent of Paul's vice I would pay for a quality press.

Look in my photo album. There is a pic of a press that I make on occassion. Made some small changes to the last one built and the owner of it has given good results so far. I am trying to get set up to make some of these in my spare time (yeah,right[:D]).

leatherjunkie

i use a arbor press also and workes great.
my dad saved it from the scrap bin at his work.

20061213143337_putin%20together.jpg

chigdon

Paul, that's what I'm talking about! I would also be interested.

The one from Woodwrite is interesting too, I have never seen it before.

Paul in OKC

I just ordered some stuff to build a few. Will be after the Holidays when I start. I will have my vise orders caught up shortly and hopefully have some time to get after other things! (I am gratefull for you vise orderers!) My price has been $45 for these with shipping included. (first borns not neccessary, I already have 5 kiddos, but thanks for the offer!)

Anthony has one. Hey Anthony, how's it workin' for you?

Mark4583

Thought about the arbor press also, just woundering if you have any trouble with some of the longer pens if theres enough room to get it in to press?
Thanks

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />
Originally posted by chigdon
<br />We need to convince someone like Paul or Fred to design and build a better press. If I could buy an equivalent of Paul's vice I would pay for a quality press.

Look in my photo album. There is a pic of a press that I make on occassion. Made some small changes to the last one built and the owner of it has given good results so far. I am trying to get set up to make some of these in my spare time (yeah,right[:D]).
It costs $24 a year in energy to operate that press???[}:)][}:)][}:)]

Scott

I have always used, and still use, a Bessy K-body clamp as my pen assembly press. Very controlled, even pressure. I get very exact results.

Scott.

jtate

I use a beer can squasher. Hey, we're low-tech in my neck of the woods!

Sometimes I'll actually use my lathe to press the parts together, cusioning them between soft wood pieces. It's steady controllable pressure. Works great.

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by Mark4583
<br />Thought about the arbor press also, just woundering if you have any trouble with some of the longer pens if theres enough room to get it in to press?
Thanks
the only ones that i cant do on my arbor press is the slimline mech. pencil because you have to press both upper and bottom barrel together. I also dont press the transmission in with the arbor press. for these i just use my big vise which works great.
other than these 2 items i use my arbor press for everything else.

bnoles

Originally posted by GABJR
<br />can anyone recommend a quality pen assembly press ?
I have been using the lever type but I am not pleased with it

I too have been using the lever type press, but have just recently ordered and received an arbor press and plan on selling the lever action press as soon as I get the grease off the new one and get in in use. [:(]

DocRon

I have been using the press from PSI for about a ear. I mounted it vertically on a cabinet door rather than flat on the bench. (bench space? what's that?) I found it easier to keep the parts positioned that way.

reef12

Strange how all these arbor presses look the same except for color.

Any store that sells Chinese tools should have one.

I paid 3.00 less at Steve's Wholesale then HF which didn't have one anyway.

Malainse

I use an old drill press, 8 bucks at a garage sale...... Put a bolt in the chuck and glued plex onto the head.....Good to go......

I have this one close to being done.....
http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_content/pen_assembly_press.html

Grizzlyss

My wood working vice isn't mounted yet, so I am using a hand operated ratcheting bar clamp/spreader for assembling pens, but am looking at getting a dedicated pen press. Maybe I can get one from Paul at the same time as my vise, maybe save a couple of bucks in shipping? But then I would probably have to pay more in taxes. Darn Canadian Revenue agency, I don't mind them collecting the GST (Goods and Services Tax), but those &^%$ then charge you $5.00 to collect it too. Once I paid the $5.00 handling fee, and the taxes was a whole $1.35, OUTRAGEOUS !!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I was about to modify my wifes piston type nutcrakers when Grizzly colsed out the"paper presses"It is essentially an arbor press.
For those who are using an arbor press and having trouble with not enough travel,install a spacer underneath to raise it.

TBone

Originally posted by Scott
<br />I have always used, and still use, a Bessy K-body clamp as my pen assembly press. Very controlled, even pressure. I get very exact results.

Scott.

Another vote for the K body, I love the control you have using this for small increments

Chuck Key

The basic 1/2 ton arbor press is $16.45 at Enco.

I just unpacked the 1 ton Palmgren version from Enco. It is a bit more expensive but includes a crank handle for production type pressing along with three press dies for use with the press. It weighs in at about 30 lbs but shipping is free with the shipping code. I will be using it for pens and other non pen related pressing. Here is a photo of the Palmgren:

2006121419658_PALMGREN.jpg
<br />

Chuckie

Scott

Originally posted by sandking
<br />Another vote for a Bessey K-body. Hopefully i get a 12" one for Christmas. My 24" takes up a lot of space on the bench.

Hi Joe!

I had been using a longer one myself, until last Christmas when my Wife surprised me with a 12" K-Body just for pen assembly! I guess that answers the age-old woodworker's question: "Can you have clamps in anything other than pairs?" [8D]

Scott.

carnut1

Have an arbor press and wont use again.
I have the CS drill press jig with the board and pegs for 10 pens and drill press ram.
Works great and was'nt expensive.
John

Firefyter-emt

Well, this is mine. It works great for any pen size. One day I may replace the wood to make it look a little more upscale. The ram, anvil and the pin knob are all Corian.

BTW, the photo is sideways. It's wall mounted. [:D]
pen-press.jpg

TBone

I had been using a longer one myself, until last Christmas when my Wife surprised me with a 12" K-Body just for pen assembly! I guess that answers the age-old woodworker's question: "Can you have clamps in anything other than pairs?" [8D]

Scott.

I too use the 24, maybe Santa will bring a 12. Of course I could always use one of my 40's [:D]

GABJR

I am using the penn state press. The ram has flexe & keeps getting out of alignment. It seems to be too light weight. What is this k body clamp people are mentioning.

sandking

Originally posted by TBone
<br />

Scott.

I too use the 24, maybe Santa will bring a 12. Of course I could always use one of my 40's [:D]

I tried using my 60" K-body but I kept tripping over it on the floor!!! [:eek:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom