Pen assembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shortcast

I've been using my drill press to assemble my pens and haven't been satisfied with the amount of control that the drill press affords. So, I've been considering the purchase of a pen press from PSI or WC. However, neither model seems to have the greatest reviews.

For the benefit of us "nubes", I was hoping you "old salts" would share your preferred methods,techniques, and tricks of pen assembly.

As always, thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

I had the PSI press and went to HF and got a 1-ton arbor press that I like better. If the drill press works then I'd stay with it. (Old adage: If it ain't broke; don't fix it"

Dan

pinelumber

I have used 5 different methods of assembling pens. First a squeese clamp. Too much effort on my part to get it right. Second a bench vice. Too slow. Third A Rockler pen assembler, with a screw drive. The drive got very hard to retract and was a real pain in the blank. Fourth a Harbor Freight arbor press. horrid!! I kept cracking my blanks no matter how gentile I was. Last A PSI pen assembler. Works great much quicker than all of the others and I haven't cracks a single blank.

Dennis
Pinelumber:bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

t001xa22

Like Mike above, I use a trigger-squeeze clamp for some of my assembly, or I use a large table-mounted vise, which I lined the inside of the jaws with 1/4" paneling wood to cushion them. I recently found better advice to use leather strips (ie: old waist belts) to cushion vise jaws instead.

IPD_Mr

I have used the one from CSUSA and for all I know it could be the same as the one they sell at WC or PSI. The one thing I hate is the darn handle slides on and off. Well my father solved that one with drilling a hole through is and used a nut and bolt. His is mounted on the wall and is just what I want. Problem is all my wall space is covered with machinery or cabinets. :mad:

JMT

I like my bench vice. Pinelumber states that it's to slow, and I won't argue, but I really like the control I have with it. For me, the extra time is work the extra control over some of the other methods/devices mentioned.

jbswearingen

I currently use my hand screw clamp. It works great. One of these:

B175BB44-D621-4632-8FCC-E4104DF5F21E.jpg

I've been tossing about the idea of building one of these:

finished_unit.JPG

Plans here:

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_content/pen_assembly_press.html

ohiococonut

Before I bought any pen turning supplies I watched dozens of videos on you tube and saw every imaginable contraption for assembling pens. Then I saw the pen press from PSI, bought it and life is much simpler. It's light weight and doesn't take up much room.

Christian

Turn a couple of wooden bungs, one in the headstock, one in the tailstock. Lock the tailstock and simply wind the bungs towards each other. Been doing it this way for ages and it works a treat.

Assembler.jpg

Chris

Last edited:

Rangertrek

I have been using the psi model (the one with wood spacers) since I first started pens. I have tried a few of the other options and now only use the psi product. I find I have more control of the pressure and length when pressing in parts.

My handle is also loose, but not a problem for me, mine is on a table used only for pen assembly. I did add a few more wood blocks for additional spacing. Quick and easy to adjust. I need stuff that is easy and reliable, otherwise I get confused. :)

Timbo

I started out using my bench vice. It has maple jaws and large handles that affords a lot of control. Then I got wind of using an arbor press for pen assembly from folks here. I got one for a good price, even with shipping, on ebay. I cleaned it up, and painted it up real nice with aztec gold hammer paint. It looked really fantastic...and still does sitting on one of my shop tables collecting dust. Bottom line is that my bench vice is working so well for me I just have not seen a need to change.

pianomanpj

Turn a couple of wooden bungs, one in the headstock, one in the tailstock. Lock the tailstock and simply wind the bungs towards each other. Been doing it this way for ages and it works a treat.

Assembler.jpg

Chris

I do the same thing. I turned two pieces of oak with a #2 MT that fit in the head and tailstock. It gives me complete control.

Top Bottom