Pen Advice Needed - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2017, 01:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
E77

Photos: 0

Question Pen Advice Needed

Hello, Pen Tuners forum

In the next coming weeks, it's my mother birthday and I am looking into getting her a special pen and I am hoping I funded the right place to get pointed in the right direction to find that special pen. My mothers not too computer savvy and she still write everything down so a pen seems like a good idea, but which pen to get?

I would like to buy a pen which is of great brand and design but not knowing what that is I am going to be needing your help to find the perfect gift. I know my mother's favorite pens are fountain pens so I would like to get her the same type.

Which pen would you buy for a fountain pen lover?
Which pen would you buy your mother for her birthday?
Any site links or shopping advice would be appreciated

Thanks
E77 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-12-2017, 05:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager

Photos: 83

There are a lot of good custom pen makers that belong to IAP that could make your mom a custom pen. Im sure your mom will appreciate any pen you get her, Brand name or custom made. YOu can Google these and many more of our members websites.
Carolina pen company, Scriptorium Pens, Gw pens, Richard Greenwald, Ryan Krusac studios, and dozens more.
http://www.silverpenparts.com
mredburn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-17-2017, 12:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
E77

Thanks for the keywords to search I will get onto them right away and see what I can find
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2017, 01:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
E77

So there is a Vintage fountain pen https://www.for-sale.ie/vintage-fountain-pens what do you guys think about going the Vintage route?

Last edited by E77; 10-17-2017 at 01:26 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Use the Heart Blanks....

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool Taig professional pool cue repair lathe....that somehow gets involved with pen blanks.
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not trying to throw cold water on your idea at all, but some people are very particular about what they like in a fountain pen especially in terms of weight, size, and nib width. Other people can happily write with anything.

If your mother is in the first category, she will love the pen, but may never use it. My advice would be to buy from someplace that will allow returns if you don't like the way a pen writes.

As far as new pens go, both Anderson Pens and Goulet Pens will accept returns of pens that have been inked.

For vintage pens, you might look at Nibs.com and Penopoly.com. Both of these have been in the business for a long time. You will need to check on their return policies. There are many others as well.

No matter where you go, be sure to check return policies. I know for example, that Anderson Pens will charge a 20% fee if any returned pen has touched ink. I suspect that this is a rule with no exceptions, although the percentage may change.

Try googling fountain pens for Denver. I was out there a few years ago and one of the art supply stores had quite a good selection of medium to high end pens. Unfortunately, I can't remember which one it was.

Hope this helps,

Bill
bmachin is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads