Pecan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

I have never turned any thing with pecan before today. I was using my skew and noticed I had to sharpen it on every 2nd pass. Is it very abrasive??? or did the cactus juice do something to it when stabilizing.??:confused:

Lin.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Thats why they call it Pecancrete. Butter when its wet but a rock when its dry. I have been turning bowls and my gouges were just bouncing off.

Don Wade

Pecan is great. Throw it on the ground for about 6 months, turn a nice bowl , fill the resulting worm holes with instant coffee, finish with deft laquer and sell it for a tidy sum. I have done many of them and people love and pay well, 300-600, for them.

t001xa22

Don, you are so right. I made my first pepper mill using pecan. It was really tough on a beginner, but when it was done, I honestly think it was bullet-proof. I have 3 large pecan trees in my yard, and the oldest one is going to have to come down this fall, I'm afraid. However, the amount of wood from it should be enormous. I like your summary of how to work with it.

widows son

Being a Texan, Pecan is one of my favorite woods. Your on the right track, sharp tools and patience. Spalted Pecan is beautiful IMHO. I use crushed Turquoise and CA or expoxy to fill the bug holes.

bruce119

I have to comment on Pecan also. I have a TON of it very old growth and I just love it turns great smells like wet donkey or dog poo. Yes it's a little hard when dry but not that bad. Now want to try something hard try dry Hickory heart wood now that is hard stuff like turning a rock. I only use local found free woods and there is just about everything here in Florida.

Have Fun

Top Bottom