Pear Wood for Pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Spinzwood

I have some nice looking blanks that are pear wood. I don't see a lot of grain in the unturned blanks. I could take a photo.. but, if necessary, I'll have to wait until sometime tomorrow in daylight.

Have any of you turned this wood? If so, did you finish as is, or did you apply a stain?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have some nice looking blanks that are pear wood. I don't see a lot of grain in the unturned blanks. I could take a photo.. but, if necessary, I'll have to wait until sometime tomorrow in daylight.

Have any of you turned this wood? If so, did you finish as is, or did you apply a stain?

Thanks

I've done some and it turned out looking almost like bone it was so white. I left it like it was and turned out really pretty.

robutacion

Not all Pear tree wood look the same, species variety has something to do with it but, tree age and how long it has been cut is another major factor for colour variations.

Pear tree wood around crotches and "compressed" limbs and in other parts of the trunk can show amazing grains that will always "jump out" when fine sanded and coated with something.

This type of wood is most stable and is used often in flute and other wind making instruments, this would need to very straight grain pieces/blanks something that would be easy to process from mature pear trees.

Works/turns and finishes beautifully, in my opinion...!

Best of luck,

Cheers
George

magpens

Pear wood is fine ... looks great and works well. . Just a little boring, so go ahead and stain it any color you like. . Or use if for creative segmenting with some other darker woods.

KenV

I have turned some Bradford Pear that was swapped for. Turned well for the most part, but one piece was splintery. Was advised that the wood can vary from tree to tree and can be different depending on soil.

Made decent but plain bowls. Did not need plain pen blanks, but it would have worked. Good practice wood of even grain.

Lots of different kinds of pear wood.

Herb G

I have turned fruit pear wood. It had a nice grain & great color to it.
Lots of subtle colors in it like pink, purple, and even some salmon.
It turned well, and finished beautifully.

Top Bottom