Pear Wood? For Pens ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

My neighbor is cutting down three very old and very large pear trees this afternoon and I am taking my chainsaw along and giving him a hand. He says I can have anything usefull out of those trees for turning. As I am into turning mostly bowls and bigger items on my full size lathe now, I am sure I will get lots of pear wood for that purpose. But I also make a batch of ten or twelve pens every now and again just to keep my inventory of pens in around the one hundred mark.
So I am wondering if many people here have used pear wood for pens. I have seen some gorgeous looking bowls and hollow forms on other sites made with pear wood but no pens. I have also been told that pear wood turns beautifully and have been advised to get all I can of it while the getting is good.:)
Gotta go sharpen up my chainsaw.
Catcha all later and let ya know about my stash of pear wood.
W.Y.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ilikewood

I know that European Pear is highly desired and is a beautiful colored wood. I have turned a few pens from it. It has very little figure, but color-wise it is nice. I don't know about some of the American varieties, but it is definitely worth cutting as much as you can stash.

To be honest, I can't think of ANY wood that you shouldn't get as much as you can stash. I think in one other discussion it was referenced as "Dust collectors" and not the electrical type.

William Young

Bill in Idaho;
Where abouts in Idaho are you? I am in Canada just north of the Idaho panhandle. I go as far as Sandpoint ID at least once a month .
Just thought it would be nice to meet for coffee some time if you are in northern Idaho.
BTW. It will be either bartlet or anjou pearwood or maybe both.
W.Y.

tipusnr

I have made pens from cutoffs from my pear tree (don't know the variety). Not a whole lot of grain but I like it. I have some awaiting harvesting from the Christmas storm here (I'm hoping the actual tree survived but won't know until spring).

If nothing else, you might consider harvesting some and offering it for trade for those who haven't access to "fruitwood".

<u>Correction</u>: OK - now that I'm home and can concentrate. I would be interested in getting some of your pear wood. I DON'T have a pear tree - I have a PEACH tree! Sorry for the misleading post!

ilikewood

Hi William,

Actually I don't think I could live any farther from you being in the same state. From my house (Twin Falls region) it is 600 miles to Sandpoint....not your weekend drive in the park. Idaho is a HUGE state [:)]. I don't go North very often but if you come down here any time, I'll drink that coffee with you.

William Young

Well , I am somewhat dissapointed :( with what I was able to salvage out of those pear trees. I had no idea that those trees were planted in the early 1900's.
I didnt even know pear trees ever got to that age.
The guy that I got this wood from is retired now and said those were mature trees back in 1930 when his parents bought the acerage.
Needless to say there was lots of rot and waste but even so , there is still quite a bit of usefull pieces that can be salvaged out of it.
But all is not lost. I take free firewood anywhere I can get it.
W.Y.

Pear%20Wood.jpg

adirondyke

Just today a neighbor offered me some trimmings from their pear and apple trees. After reading through the messages on the topic, I'm eager to start my own stash of fruitwoods!

Marilyn
Ocean Park, WA[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom