PC tube question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

So, I have drooled over the PC tubes for quite some time but never bought because I thought they were pretty delicate.

Christmas is coming up, and I am thinking the wife lady needs a pretty pen.

What are people's experiences?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
So, I have drooled over the PC tubes for quite some time but never bought because I thought they were pretty delicate.

Christmas is coming up, and I am thinking the wife lady needs a pretty pen.

What are people's experiences?

I've done just a couple of Tonis blanks. In general, you can turn them (I've used a sku on them), but in reality if you're concerned at all, these are close enough to final size to just use sandpaper if you wanted to.

If you are comfortable with a CA finish, I think they are a piece of cake.

Haynie

I can't do CA. If I am even in the vicinity of CA these days my sinuses plug up and my head wants to explode. Is there another finish possible?

Last edited:

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
They are not that hard to make. Cover a tube with a solid color sheet of clay, buy some pc canes from Etsy and put slices on the solid color covering and then roll tghem all together. When done, bake in an oven or toaster oven at 250 degrees fopr 30 minutes. When cool, turn to fit your bushings. Sand thru 12,000, put a few coats of ca in it, sand again as needed the some Hut polish. You have created a beautiful blank.

Several manufacturers of polymer clay make gloss and matte glazes. These are brush-on finishes that dry in about an hour. Some glazes are water-based, which I have avoided, since they have a tendency to peel over time, particularly in pieces that have to withstand a lot of friction.

Another glaze I've heard that can be used is Future floor polish. This is actually an acrylic coating that works well on polymer clay. It is very thin, so to get the best shine, you need to sand and buff your pieces smooth before using it. When used on unsanded clay, it produces a finish more like matte glaze. You can also dip pieces in Future for a heavily-coated, very shiny look.

Many clay artists have also successfully used Flecto Varathane Elite Diamond Finish. This is a lacquer found in hardware stores, in the area with the wood stains and finishes. It comes in satin (matte), semi-gloss, and gloss finishes. A piece with Flecto on it can be re-fired for a stronger glaze. Flecto will also bend and flex without peeling.

Both Flecto and Future are much less expensive in quantity than the polymer-clay manufacturers' glazes. Since they come in large containers, you may want to put some into a smaller container for your workspace to make it more manageable.

Do not use nail polish to lacquer your clay, and be careful about using other glazes. Many lacquers - including most nail polish - will react with the clay over time, causing it to turn sticky. Some glazes, especially spray-ons, never dry properly when used on polymer clay. If you want to try a new glaze, make sure to test it first. You can try placing the piece in a low oven (200-250° Fahrenheit) for an hour or so; this sometimes sets a gummy glaze.

edstreet

I can't do CA. If I am even in the vicinity of CA these days my sinuses plug up and my head wants to explode. Is there another finish possible?

This is called a sensitivity. There is an odorless CA and you will not have a problem with that. This is also a common problem. I myself use odorless CA exclusively.

The PC tubes are hardened and not brittle, fragile or the like. They are about 95% done, just need some light sanding to remove a few high spots. Use something like 800-1,200 grit sandpaper and your golden.

healeydays

Last edited:
Top Bottom