Patriot vs. Atlas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RPM

Woodcraft has the Atlas on sale this month with the platinum $3 less than the Craft Supply patriot. Anybody know if they are the same pen?
Thanks,
Richard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

I cannot say that they are the same pen but I can tell you that I have turned Patriot, Polaris and Atlas pens on the same set ob bushings and never had any problems.

RPM

Thanks,
I guess I should have asked the question differently and focused on the bushings. That is what I was after.
Thanks again,
Richard

fuzzydog

I had an order for 6 Atlas in Dec. and 2 of the 6 suffered transmission failures. BB did not have any spare trans. so I had to buy a complete kit that now has no transmission. I have turned many Polaris, the PSI copy of Atlas, and never had a single problem even though I now avoid PSI kits (inferior plating issues).
David

kf4knf

Wow, I am finding alot of pen guys really dont like those PSI kits - maybe I should take the hint. I have used the polaris kit from PSI alot lately mainly because its cheap. Most PSI kits are, I am getting my practice in on the cheap stuff. Polaris is a fine pen to write with... Might want to check out my post of the rattle though. [;)]

alparent

I've worked with both PSI and Berea so fare and I've not noticed much differences.
PSI had some tiny defects on some platings (but I got that on some Berea kits also)
I find the Berea uses alot of plastic part (that scratches just by looking at it).
The only kits I didn't try yet are the ones fron CSUSA. Maybe they are better? I don't know. Or maybe I'm just expecting to much from a pen kit?

P.S. I never had any problems with any trans. and all the pens worked fine. My only isue it with the perfection (or lack of) in the plating.

Are CSUSA kit any better?

alamocdc

After nearly 18 months of having over 50 (that are used as daily writers) PSI 24kt pens in the field, I have yet to see or been told of a plating issue. I'm not terribly fond of taking pens apart, but I'm prepared to take advantage of PSI's 24kt warranty when it arises.Yes, I've had a few transmission failures (two actually), but those too have been replaced by PSI without question.

kf4knf

CUSA kits are $$$. They better be for that kinda money.

I just hate making fountain pens that sound like a tin can when you screw the lid on. Do CUSA kits have that problem?

txcwboy

I have used Woodcraft and CSUSA. I have been using CSUSA for 10 yrs plus and I havent had ANY problems with any of their pen kits. The are higher end if you ask me and look the best. The plating on the Platinum pens is warrantied for pens life. I tend to do higher end pens so I dont do the cheap gold plated ones.The Platinum pens look more regal to me and when I mention its Platinum the customer gets the "OOOOOs" [:D]

Dave

PS My wife has a new KIA and its a NICE CAR ! [:eek:)]

arioux

Hi,
I'm not the most experience pen turner but i tried PSI, Berea and CSU kits. My kids carry 24k slim in their school bags and the only 24k kits that did not cause problems in 12 mounths are the PSI one. Like Alamocdc, i gave away over 75 slimlines in the last 12 mounths. The so called upgrade gold came back with plating worned out in 4 mounts. All the PSI in the field are still ok.
But PSI have some terrible kits (specially when threads are involve) but IMHO their 24k plating is the best around. CSU have the best high end kits (again IMHO), but they apply their higher price to all their kits and their regular 24k or 10k(that don't really last better than the 24k)are not better than PSI. As for the other plating (platinum, TI ect) they are all the same quality and never had any problem with them . I use daily a TI euro from PSI for over a year and it's not even scratch, same with my wife . So i guess that people had problems with PSI in the past and just put it on the blacklist.

johncrane

I like patriot from csusa. the only problems Ive had was last night. thought I would give my every day pen a buff up. well s--t hit the fan and pulled the clip right off. now its a pocket pen, I DONT think they will give me warranty on that. does any one no what U.F warranty is. thats the only warranty I've got now.

arioux

Hi, John,

If you want one, i can send you a polaris clip (i just look at CSU catalog and they really look the same). Just send me your address by emai and i'll send you one or two (just in case the fan get o you again [:D]­

Alfred

txcwboy

Just got the new Wood Craft catalog and it looks to me they arent devoting as much space to pens anymore in the catalog atleast. Kinda suprised me.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom