A parting word

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ha! Gotcha!
When ever I have to part a tube for a ring I get a moment of trepidation.Am I going to hit the bushing, start out too far?
I solved that problem on at least one type of pen.
I was doing a Berea Streamline rollerball which requires parting down to the tube 1/8 inch.
The first style of pen I made was an American classic which requires the same maneuver.
I have done quite a few of these types but still get that queasy feeling.
Heres how I solved the problem.
I "miked" the sleeve on the bushing and found a drill bit that came close.I then drilled a hole in a scrap piece of sheet aluminum I had laying around.Next step was to knock off the points of the aluminum blank and install it on the bushing..Next install the blank.
As I roughed out the blank,I also turned the aluminum "washer"
I then took the guide washer off the bushing and continued to turn the pen.
When it came time to part off for the ring I reinstalled the aluminum guide washer and used it to"slide"the parting tool into the blank.
I have 2 parting tools 1/8th and 1/16th.
With these I can usually get whatever dimension I need.
I'm going to save that little aluminum washer.[8D]
(moderator feel free to move this to "tips" if you wish.)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi Eagle!

I'm a little dense at times, so a picture or two would help me. I'm sure a lot of our members could use a more sure-fire method of doing the parting.

Thanks!

Scott.

G

Gonna take a while to post pictures.
Close your eyes and picture this.
A washer made out of aluminum a little larger in Diameter than the bushing you are parting next to.
In the case such as a bushing for an 8 mm tube you need a hole the sisize of the inside of the tube, not an O drill bit.
Install the al. washer next to the shoulder of the bushing,now when you go to part,put the side of the parting tool against the washer and slide it down to the blank.
(pictures forcoming but it will take a while)

Daniel

Gee Eagle, read your title and thought you where leaving us.
this is a good idea. I understand it but I had the benefit of the second explaination to work with.
I had a though to ad. not only is it touchy to avoid hitting the bushing. for the kits that require a steped tenon. (not cut all the way to the brass) getting the right depth is a mess if you cut just a tad to far. this has always been a cut a bit and measure situation. or for the bushings that provide a guide I always have to hope I didn't graze it the last time I was using it and make it small er than it should be.
a second washer could be turned to indicate the depth of cut. of course this prevents you from using the first one as a guide to follow. I also have a 1/16th and 1/8 parting tool. my 16th is the single most expensive turning tool I own. I was feeling rich when I bought it but it sure is nice.

its_virgil

Berea sels a cap guage whieh I find most helpful. Check it out at
http://bereahardwoods.com/page23.htm#capgauge

Do a good turn daily!
don
Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />Ha! Gotcha!
When ever I have to part a tube for a ring I get a moment of trepidation.Am I going to hit the bushing, start out too far?
I solved that problem on at least one type of pen.
I was doing a Berea Streamline rollerball which requires parting down to the tube 1/8 inch.
The first style of pen I made was an American classic which requires the same maneuver.
I have done quite a few of these types but still get that queasy feeling.
Heres how I solved the problem.
I "miked" the sleeve on the bushing and found a drill bit that came close.I then drilled a hole in a scrap piece of sheet aluminum I had laying around.Next step was to knock off the points of the aluminum blank and install it on the bushing..Next install the blank.
As I roughed out the blank,I also turned the aluminum "washer"
I then took the guide washer off the bushing and continued to turn the pen.
When it came time to part off for the ring I reinstalled the aluminum guide washer and used it to"slide"the parting tool into the blank.
I have 2 parting tools 1/8th and 1/16th.
With these I can usually get whatever dimension I need.
I'm going to save that little aluminum washer.[8D]
(moderator feel free to move this to "tips" if you wish.)

G

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Berea sels a cap guage whieh I find most helpful. Check it out at
http://bereahardwoods.com/page23.htm#capgauge

Do a good turn daily!
don

I have the cap gauge,got it from Bill at AS.
I wish they would have labeled it in inches as the directions to the pens are measured in inches rather that A-B-C-.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom