Parting a Berea RT Euro Streamline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bikerdad

I'm attempting to do my first Round Top European Streamline Screw Cap Rollerball (say that three times fast!), which also happens to be the first rollerball/capped pen for me, and have run into a bit of a problem.

Parting the bottem end of the cap down to the barrel. There isn't enough room to get my parting chisel down in there without getting into the bushing or cutting the blank back too far. I don't have any screw chucks, drill chucks, etc, just mandrels, the stock (Jet) live center and dead center.

So, can anybody suggest solutions for parting this puppy down? I have another 9 of these kits (Platinums). I do have extra barrel sets as well, and am currently using free wood, so a little experimentation is doable.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

You can use an OLD butter knife and grind the end to make a parting tool -- it won't hold an edge for a long time like a thin HSS parting tool will do, but it will cut.

I'd suggest that you do NOT use a knife from a set -- guess why?

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I've got several of the small 'pen turning' chisels that I never seem to use
for anything. I have one ground down to about half width for tenons. It seems
to hold an edge longer than a butter knife.. :biggrin:

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I made a parting tool from a power hacksaw blade. Works great. I also use it for making lidded boxes too because then the grain on the lid matches the bottom a little better. If you can get a blade you can get two parting tools out of it.

Bikerdad

You can use an OLD butter knife and grind the end to make a parting tool -- it won't hold an edge for a long time like a thin HSS parting tool will do, but it will cut.

I'd suggest that you do NOT use a knife from a set -- guess why?

Because then I'd have to grind them all down so they match? :wink:

Top Bottom