Parker Refills That Are Too Big For Kit Nibs??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

The following is also posted in another thread; but is burried where some folks might miss it. Thought I would repost as a separate thread just in case. The post is in response to a comment that some refills won't fit kit nibs necessitating the reaming of those nibs.

Well, the old "mike" has been miking tonight!! Here are the results of the measurements of some of my various refill tips:

Parker Brand-Regular BP

Parker-Spanish

Parker-Chinese

Parker Brand-Gel

Chinese-Gel

Rollerball-Kit

Rollerball-Japan

Observations:

1. Tip sizes don't seem to vary much. With the exception of the Japanese rollerball all refills were within two and a half thousandths of each other.....pretty tight!!

2. All of the kit refills were slightly smaller than the actual Parker Brand refills.

3. The under-size Japanese rollerball refill was not a universal refill, but rather one that was removed from a PILOT(I think) pen. It may be a proprietary size and not representative of the size of universal refills.

I would feel more comfortable if I had measured a larger sample of refills; but based on the information I do have, it would seem to be prudent for pen sellers to check all nibs on pens that take a Parker refill against an actual Parker refill since they appear to have the biggest tips. Even if you don't change refills prior to sale, at some point in time your customers will need to replace the refills and most likely will use the PARKER BRAND refill. That creates the potential for a future problem and an unhappy customer. I'm going to check all of my pens......don't want them coming back a year later because of a refill problem!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

Randy,

I once had a problem that I replaced a normal BP refill with an original Parker gel refill and this just was a tad too big for the nib hole. Never measured the difference between the two, though.
To ream out the nib hole was only needed so far with chrome plated American Flattop style pens, but not with Titanium Gold or black Ti (all from Berea).

Rudy

SE Mi

Pen Man

I found on the American flat top when you press them together it would make some refills not work. Befor putting together put the refill threw the nib. If you use a peice of wood that has been pre- drilled it keeps the nib from being pushed on.

KKingery

Just my 2 cents worth - stopped by and bought 2 packs of Parker gel refills, because I'm not too happy with the refills that came in my cigar kits. Out of the 4 refills, 3 fit no problem, only one was tight and needed the nib "adjusted".

woodscavenger

I have commented on this multiple times. I had it occur again today. If you put a true Parker brand refill in the cigar kit you have a high percentage chance of it not fitting through the nid. I ream all of my nibs now. It makes you look really silly when you swap a refill for someone and it doesn't work!

Randy_

Originally posted by KKingery
<br />Just my 2 cents worth - stopped by and bought 2 packs of Parker gel refills, because I'm not too happy with the refills that came in my cigar kits. Out of the 4 refills, 3 fit no problem, only one was tight and needed the nib "adjusted".

Ken: Sure would be interesting to know what the measurements were of those 4 refills??

BTW, what does everyone use to "ream" the nibs""

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom