Parker refills?!?!?!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

coach

I just put a new parker medium black refill in the cigar pen I carry. The refill is too wide and will not come out of the nib! I know this has been a problem with gel refills. I guess I'll be getting a call from everyone who bought a cigar pen since I told them they can use a parker refill. Anyone else have this problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Coach,

Although it has only happened a few times, I have had the occasion where the top of the lower barrel has a burr on the brass tube (inside)that will keep a refill from fitting correctly. Could this be the problem?

Just a thought-they are rare so I try to share them all!!

woodscavenger

I have posted about this many times. I use a small rat tail file on all of my cigars to prevent that embarassing call. I wish I didn't have to do it but the Parker brand gels get caught in many of the cigars.

Rudy Vey

Sometimes the nib has some residue from the plating, ream it out with a small drill bit, I had this happen to me with chrome plated pens. I think a # drill bit in the high thirties or forties will the job.

Randy_

The Parker tips measure right at 0.10" Most of the refills that come with the kits measure a couple of thousands less. Not much; but enough to make a difference. A 7/64" drill bit measures 0.1094" and is probably a hair too big. A #38 drill(0.1015") should be just fine or use a 3/32" drill bit and kinda "wiggle" it around a little; but be gentle so you don't take off too much. If the #38 is still too snug, a #37 is 0.104".

coach

I have some needle files and it worked perfectly. Barely had to touch it. My problem is the pens I have sold. I guess I will have to do that to each cigar I make from now on. If anyone has a problem, I will have to pay for them to ship it to me so I can fix it I guess. You would think they would fix this when they manufacture the kits!

Randy_

Originally posted by coach<br />... I will have to pay for them to ship it to me so I can fix it I guess...

If you can find some cheap needle files, it might be more economical to mail the pen owner a file if they are willing. Save postage back and forth on the pen and the possibility of damage or loss by USPS??? Since this will be a one shot fix, you could even break a 6" needle file into thirds and just send the 2" piece of the file.

rlh

Coach
After reading your post and the replies I got all of the Cigars that I still have in my inventory out and tried a genuine Parker Gel refill in each. Only one out of more than a dozen worked. I used a clock repair tool called a broach and reamed the hole in the nib out just slightly to make them work. Hopefully the ones that I sold will work when my customers have to replace the refill! If it is residue in the nib it may clear itself from use by that time. From now on I will check each one as I assemble it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom