Panache Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I have never built a panache, but bought five kits to make just because I'm tired of making the same ole thing. The long lower tube called for a 13/32 drill bit, but the holes where too small for the tubes. I checked my Jr. Gent lower tube TBC bushings from Johnny and they fit in the tubes perfectly, so I redrilled the hole (more kinda reamed the hole) with the 10.5 mm bit and they worked fine in glue up.

Anyone else have that problem or will I have some issues when I put the pen together, i.e., will the fittings be too small for the tube?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithkarl2007

Milling the ends of the blanks is fun because the mills we use are too small. I have a few but haven't turned them yet.

mick

I use the 10.5 anyway to allow for painting as all the Panache I make are from "plastics".
I use a barrel trimmer on the lower blank but then move to the sander to take off the part the trimmer didn't get.
Another thing you may want to try. To me the Panache looks funny if you turn the cap to the size of the finial bushing.(too small) I use a caliper and turn it the same size as the bottom and then turn a cove down to meet the bushing...just looks more balanced to me.

aggromere

Yea, I just turned one to size and it looks backwards. I square the blanks on the lathe so that wasn't an issue for me.

BigguyZ

When Rockler closed out the Panache, I bought as many as I could afford. I use them as closed end pens.

But regarding your question, I usually just use my calipers to find the best fit. That and a 115 piece bit set, and you don't have to worry too much.

Another thing you may want to try. To me the Panache looks funny if you turn the cap to the size of the finial bushing.(too small) I use a caliper and turn it the same size as the bottom and then turn a cove down to meet the bushing...just looks more balanced to me.

Do you happen to have a pic handy...as an example, I'm tempted to try this :wink:

mick

Do you happen to have a pic handy...as an example, I'm tempted to try this :wink:

John, Look on my website under Electra. The pictures aren't great but maybe you can get an idea.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Peter, I've found the same "problem." But I have a drill bit set and just go up to the next size for Panache's lower tube. I've found Panache kits work as fountain or rollerball if you have some spare parts from Jr Gent to convert.

I use a sander to square off the larger diameter blank end.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
conversion

I have never built a panache, but bought five kits to make just because I'm tired of making the same ole thing. The long lower tube called for a 13/32 drill bit, but the holes where too small for the tubes. I checked my Jr. Gent lower tube TBC bushings from Johnny and they fit in the tubes perfectly, so I redrilled the hole (more kinda reamed the hole) with the 10.5 mm bit and they worked fine in glue up.

Anyone else have that problem or will I have some issues when I put the pen together, i.e., will the fittings be too small for the tube?

13/32 is a tad smaller than 10.5mm so if the tube is 10.5mm and you drilled the hole real well 13/32 might be too tight for the tube. I doubt that the fittings will be too small.

Top Bottom