Panache blanks 1"x6"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
the panache kit says it requires a blank 1" x 6". Most of the ones I find (wood or PR) are smaller. How critical is the 1"x6" in the instructions?

I have found some 1"x1"x12" wood blanks from PSI...that I can cut in half.

Thanks for the help...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Just turned one yesterday -- using a 1/16 sizing convention -- absolute minimum with the blank centered with great care is 13/16 (Bushing table says 0.788 which is just over 3/4)and I used a 57/64 piloted end mill (just because I have it -- surplus machinist store for a couple bucks) that provides ample room for the largest bushing to fit. (I milled with a 3/4 pen mill and then remilled with the piloted end mill). 7/8 blank works easy.

Every thing else is smaller -- so can use a tapered blank or odd shaped one (think root piece). I think this one looks best with generally straight sides, but look forward to seeing your pictures --

I was working with amboyona burl and have a stabalized curly mango Over sized piece from AZ Sil all set to spin - maybe today.

pensmyth

I've turned three so far. You will need at least a 1" square blank but the over all finished pen is 5 1/4" and I was able to use a 5 " long wooden blank. Acrylic might need to be longer to allow for cutting off the end to keep from blowing out the end when drilling the blank.

Andy

KenV

CUSA was the source -- and I did not need/use the instructions as I am used to the long tube being the body and the short tube being the cap. There are so few parts to press, that other than figuring out to disassemble (unscrew) the middle section, it is easy. The bushing set has only 3 pieces. Spring is attached to the biggest end piece (the 0.788 sized one). That is the big hint that the big piece is at the back of the Roller ball.

KenV

P.S. If you are using a "close size" blank make sure you start the drill on that end so any drift is not affecting the outcome. there is a huge taper (down to 0.570) on this pen.

DurocShark

I've turned 3 of them. They look terriffic but I and verybody I've shown them to hate writing with em. So I keep one on my desk at work with a beautiful piece of worthless wood/sky blue pr blank on it just to be the honey for the flies...

pensmyth

I got mine from CUSA too. While they were easy to turn and assemble I agree they aren't very comfortable to write with. They're more desk top decoration.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I pour my own 1" blanks for things like these, but I will agree with the rest, they are uncomfortable and I have big hands. I used most of my Panache kits for closed end desk pens.

TowMater

I'll have to disagree with the folks that say they aren't comfortable to write with.

I also find that folks with arthritis that I've made these for are very happy with them.

Now carrying them in your shirt pocket is a real problem!!!

Top Bottom