Painting tubes an blanks question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

I have an acrylic blank I know will be very see through when it is turned. I painted the tube and then decided I should reverse paint the blank. Now the tube won't go into the blank.

What do I do?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Matt Cotton

I'd sand a little paint off of the tube. what kind of paint and glue are you using? I started using spray paint to reverse paint the blanks, puts a nice thin layer.

Haynie

Tried to spray paint the tubes but it just ran out. Curious how you do it?

I just looked on line for a "Fuzz bigger drill bit" and can't find any.:biggrin::rolleyes:

theidlemind

I just looked on line for a "Fuzz bigger drill bit" and can't find any.:biggrin::rolleyes:

Trip to a good hardware store and look at metric, letter and number bits.
Example........ Executive Pen calls for a 3/8 (.3750) but if you use a "V" bit (.3770) you get a little extra room for paint and glue.
Here
Drill Bit Chart
is a good drill size chart.

Last edited:

76winger

I usually take a round hand file and just "clean them up" before painting, usually follow that with 220 grit wrapped around a dowel to smooth the surface. Then paint the inside.

Just be sure to rotate the blank as you do this so you keep the hole round!

PenMan1

Another way to do it is to add 1 drop of acrylic paint to epoxy glue and forget about tube painting. This doesn't change the "hole diminsions". If you choose to also paint the inside of the blank, you can still sand the tube to perfect "dry fit" diameter.

glycerine

I have an acrylic blank I know will be very see through when it is turned. I painted the tube and then decided I should reverse paint the blank. Now the tube won't go into the blank.

What do I do?

What color paint are you using? I sually paint mine black, so I actually paint the inside of the blank, but then use a black sharpie on the tubes. Even doing that, I've had some tight fits...

Top Bottom