painting tubes or blanks ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I personally dont even paint the tubes anymore. I paint the inside of the blanks with Krylon fusion spray paint. Just aim the nozzle inside the hole... spray... and twist and turn the blank to get coverage inside the entire hole. Then let dry for about 24 hrs

Joe - It's easier to paint the tube. BUT, when I have a 3/8", 10mm or larger hole, I like to do the blank. I've even been known to do both but that sometimes leads to a tight fit which can result in unsightly interior scratches. Bad.
If you're going to paint the blank, I suggest you wrap fine sandpaper (220 or 400) on a dowel and lightly sand the interior. Also, I went to a craft store (Michaels) and got an acrylic set and a couple decent paintbrushes. Works great. Before that I had been using black, gray and white spray paint. I like the acrylics better just because I can blend colors to match the blank.

Xander

Paint the blank, inside the hole. That's the only way to make sure you hide the glue. I use Testors enamel and use a brush, but just today I tried a Q-tip. I do not sand or file the hole first, I get a good clean hole right off the drill.
Note, the color you paint can have a very noticable effect on the color of the finished blank. This is especially true for transparent and light colored blanks.

randyrls

Joe; Definitely, paint the inside of the drilled hole. The best investment you can make is a 115 piece drill set and a drill size chart. Drill the hole one size (.005 to .010") bigger than you normally use. Use a lacquer spray paint. Put a latex (etc) glove on the hand you hold the blank with. White will make the blank lighter and more vibrant, black will make the blank duller and darker. Use a matching color OR a contrasting color to color white blanks.

These two blanks started out as identical white pearlescent blanks. Top painted hot pink, bottom light blue.

GoatRider

One option when painting the blank is to use Acrylic paint, and mix in about 25% Glass and Tile medium. This makes it stick to the plastic better, and effectively makes any color into a primer. You can get it at Michaels or Joanne Fabrics.

For obvious reasons, you can't use a regular primer unless it's already the right color- that pretty much limits you to white, grey, black, or rustoleum.

jd99

I paint the blanks with acrylic I use a detail type of Q-tip (fluffyer (sp))

If the blank is really transparent, I've found I can get a smoother hole if I drill undersize then go back through the hole with a reamer, it gives it a better finish, then just a drill. :biggrin:

I can hear it now "What now I have to have reamers for my tube sizes!!!" :rolleyes:

triw51

Joe; Definitely, paint the inside of the drilled hole. The best investment you can make is a 115 piece drill set and a drill size chart. Drill the hole one size (.005 to .010") bigger than you normally use. Use a lacquer spray paint. Put a latex (etc) glove on the hand you hold the blank with. White will make the blank lighter and more vibrant, black will make the blank duller and darker. Use a matching color OR a contrasting color to color white blanks.

These two blanks started out as identical white pearlescent blanks. Top painted hot pink, bottom light blue.

Thank you this really illistrates the effect of different colors behind the blank.

Russknan

Wonder about this option. I found on another pen turner's site (IS there any other?) someone recommending using something called "BLACKIT" to oxidize brass tubes so that they're black without painting. Anybody have any experience or opinions?

Xander

Wonder about this option. I found on another pen turner's site (IS there any other?) someone recommending using something called "BLACKIT" to oxidize brass tubes so that they're black without painting. Anybody have any experience or opinions?

That might be ok to 'hide' the tube but it will not 'hide' the glue. The reason for painting the blank is so the glue ( and tube) will not be visible.

Xander

For those of you using epoxy - what brand. I have had mixed results with epoxy not holding. Any suggested brands.

Thanks in advance.

I usually use "Great Planes" 6 minute Pro epoxy.... only because I had some left over from my RC plane days. This stuff is good. However, my local hobby store here (since I've moved) does not stock it. I'm about to run out so I have a new brand to try, Z-poxy 5 min. Sounds like a disease. I'll let you know how it works when I use it.

I started painting the tubes. Had mixed results. I now paint the inner blanks with spray paint. I'm much more satisfied with the results.
As for epoxy, I am trying now this stuff, and so far it has performed flawlessly. I much prefer this 2 bottle presentation, rather than the syringe type. I feel I have more control over how much stuff I am mixing.
Amazon.com: System Three 5 Minute Epoxy, 1/2 Pint: Home Improvement

Russknan

Thanks, Xander, for the explanation about the reason for painting. I'm about to do my first one of these. It's a Wonderwood and I really like how it looks. Don't want to screw it up.

Mac

Qtip inside blank.
Also you can change the color of finished blank.
Example, I had some orange blanks for my school colors.They were not as orange as I wanted so I painted the inside red, Guess what got the orange I wanted. After that I made a blue real dark blue by painting the inside black. Experiment

Timbo

Paint the inside of the hole for sure. Use a fast drying spray paint. Just aim in the hole and give a quick squirt from both ends. I only allow 30 minutes to dry. Coverage is great, and the layer of paint is so thin, there is no need to make the hole any larger than normal. On occasion I've painted both the hole and the tube, and the tube still slides in without a problem.

Top Bottom