Painting tubes for Acrylester and Acrylic blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allenworsham

I have recently started using acrylic paints on the brass tubes of my Acrylester and Acrylic blanks. But instead of highlighting the colors, I find that the blanks look very dark and lack luster. I have had this problem with a number of different types of blanks. The only blanks that look good are those that are mostly solid in color. Here is a photo of a black and orage blank that I did some time back using a orange permanent marker. It turned out really bright.

200841554929_DSCN0387.jpg

Now using orange acrylic paint on the exact same blank makes it look dark and muddy. I am figuring that the acrylic paint is not reflecting any light like the brass tubes that were covered with permanent marker that first one was done with. So how can I get more color out of these blanks? On Sierra pens, the ends are thinner than the middle, so I end up with color variations. But when using the acrylic paint, they look blan even though there is no variation.

So any suggestions on coloring?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Agreed about the metallic paints, but since I use epoxy I find that I have to let the metallic paint dry for several days before I glue in the tubes.

JohnU

I agree with you. My acrylic paint really darkened my red PR blank and i used white paint to help keep it bright. Im going to have experiment with something else.

I like the pen and blank colors. I have several customers that are always asking for orange.

GoodTurns

I have been happier with metallic paints as well as painting the tubes to mimic the blanks...i.e. orange and black swirls to match the blank you are showing.

Texatdurango

Below is a photo of two pens using the same #23 White Pearl acrylester blank which is VERY translucent. I mix a very small amount of Pearl EX pigment in with the epoxy and it makes the tubes really shimmer. On one pen I added turquoise pigment and the other I added the macro pearl. In the other photo is a sample I made last year showing how the epoxy would look with various pigments. They also work great for filling voids. You can buy Pearl Ex at most hobby stores.

2008415152634_arpiandanet.jpg
200841515274_colored%20epoxies.jpg

M

monkeynutz

Originally posted by Texatdurango

You can buy Pearl Ex at most hobby stores.
That looks great! Do you paint the tubes or insides of the blank, or just use the color in the epoxy? I am wondering how difficult it is to maintain a uniform enough coat of epoxy as you insert the tubes, without scraping it thin in places and letting the tube show through? Apologies if I'm not visualizing this correctly... [:I]

Texatdurango

Originally posted by monkeynutz

...That looks great! Do you paint the tubes or insides of the blank, or just use the color in the epoxy? I am wondering how difficult it is to maintain a uniform enough coat of epoxy as you insert the tubes, without scraping it thin in places and letting the tube show through? Apologies if I'm not visualizing this correctly... [:I]
I just mix the pigment with the epoxy and having done a dozen or so of these tubes, have never noticed any thin or scraped spots where the tube shows through.

On thing I might mention though, some feel the need to get as tight a fit possible between the tube and the blank. I, on the other hand, believe that leaving room for glue instead of scraping it all out when inserting the tube gives a better bond.

M

monkeynutz

Originally posted by Texatdurango

One thing I might mention though, some feel the need to get as tight a fit possible between the tube and the blank. I, on the other hand, believe that leaving room for glue instead of scraping it all out when inserting the tube gives a better bond.
I'm inclined to agree, since that's the way they usually end up for me... ;)

Top Bottom