Painting tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dtswebb

I am looking for comments and ideas on painting kit tubes for use with the "plastic" blanks. I am having problems and the frustration level has gotten to the point where I am not turning plastics.

For paint, I am using Ceramcoat or Americana acrylic paints. After drilling the blanks and scuffing the tubes, I'll apply the paint to both the tubes and interiors of the drilled blanks using a cotton swab. I try to apply a thin coat, figuring I'm going to apply at least two coats.

Even applying one thin coat of paint and allowing it to dry, I sometimes cannot get the tube into the blank (dry fit testing before gluing) without usually stripping paint off the tube.

There have been times where I'll test fit the tube and all looks good. After applying thick CA glue, when pushing the tube into the blank it will feel like the tube binds and I'm left with a tube sticking out of the blank.

I know there has to be a change in technique that will help me and I've looked through the library and posts. One idea that sounded attractive was to use a chemical preparation to blacken the tubes but that's not going to work on the more translucent plastics.

Any ideas, hints or tricks are appreciated.

Thank you.

Matthew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Matthew. Just a very humble opinion... you are stressing over a very minute detail that really means nothing. Put coat of paint on the tube OR the blank. When dry, check the fit and glue it in. If some comes off...NO BIG DEAL. This is just to keep the brass color down so if there is a small streak, you are the only one who knows it. Those that receive the pen do not know, see, nor care if there was a scratch in the paint job that is on the INSIDE of the pen. This is a fun hobby. don't make it stressful for yourself.

its_virgil

Painting the tube allows (on many blanks) the glue to show between the surface of the hole and the tube. The glue, with air pockets, often produces an undesireable appearance. Coloring just the glue is often not the best solution. Painting the blank inside the hole prevents the glue and air pockets from showing along with preventing the brass tube from showing and distorting the color of the blank. Often changing the colors of the paint used will produce different results using the same blank.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Matthew - I've been painting the blank for a while now anad have experienced the same thing you mention. I'm now test fitting the tube in the blank before I paint. If it "feels" too tight (like it might scape off the paint), I have been taking a transfer punch, wrapping it with 220 and gently sanding the blank (and, thereby, enlarging the hole). And, as mentioned above, I use epoxy on my plastics. It will fill voids or gaps well.

Chasper

Keep your bits sharp when you drill the hole so the newly drilled surface is smooth, and then use a round file to make double sure it is smooth. Burrs from drilling will accumulate paint.

I only paint inside the hole, never paint the tube. I only use CA, never epoxy. Also I only turn plastics and problems getting tubes in, as well as problems with brass showing, are extremely rare.

gbpens

Before painting the inside of the material with a spray paint, dry fit the tube in the material. You want a loose fit. If needed use a curcular file to slightly enlarge the tube, then spray and allow to dry overnight. Glue in tube. Painting the tube only allows the glue to show through the semi-transparent material. Where did I learn all this, right here on IAP!

Lenny

I use the Delta creamcoat as well. My biggest problem is impatience .... so now I put it in the toaster oven to accellerate the drying time.
Another alternative would be to buy the black or nickel plated tubes.

I found this post interesting .... it shows a method for testing what effect different paints will have on the finished color....
http://www.penturners.org/forum/1110322-post1.html

dtswebb

To all that took the time to reply, a BIG thank you. I knew I was going to get some tips and hints.

Don, thank you for the tips. I agree that painting the insides of the blanks is critical, so as not to show any gaps from the glue. I'll have to give the two part epoxy a go.

Ted and gbpens, the idea of enlarging the hole slightly using either sandpaper or a file is an idea that is genius in its simplicity and something I didn't consider.

Danny, I stopped at a local hobby shop and purchased a liquid that will blacken brass. According to the gentleman that helped me, I can get the tubes as dark as I want my increasing the soak time. I also purchased a similar liquid that will create a patina on the brass, either green or blue depending on how long I soak the tubes.

Thank you all for your help.

Matthew

pianomanpj

Just to add to what's been said, I paint the inside of the blank with Ceramcoat acrylics, and when dry, I mix a little Testor's enamel into the epoxy when I glue up. If I am using a dark color paint, I will also blacken the brass tubes with a brass ager. I don't believe the ager adds any thickness during the blackening process.

Top Bottom