Painting Tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sseamen

This may sound like a dumb question, but what the heck.

I see lots of talk about painting tubes and reverse painting the blanks. Plenty of discussion on technique and types of paint, but no mention of "What colors do I use?"

What is the goal of painting the tubes/inside of the blanks? I understand we don't want the brass blank shining thru but what do we want? If I have a 'Molten Bronze' or a 'Cantaloupe' blank from Rhino what color do I paint the tubes, and why?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

Different colors on the tubes create drastic differences on the surface of almost any partly translucent blank. I have no clue what colors to use for what situations, but I do look forward to experimenting with it when my horizons (money for hobbies) expand.

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
If you paint the tubes a lighter color, the blank will take on lighter tones. df you paint the tubes a darker color, the blank will be darker. One can experiment and change a blank look by the color of the tubes.

JohnU

I like to pick a color that resembles the blank. If there's white in the blank then I use white so it doesn't change the color of the blank. If I don't have a matching color I use grey and if there's transparency I usually use black to give it depth. It's really all about experimenting and using what you like.

bitshird

I did a Rhino Cantaloupe whit, and it lit up like the sun. I'll bring it to the chapter if it doesn't get sold next weekend. BUT I don't use paint, I use PR dye in my epoxy, I sand the tube with 80 grit and just put a drop in the epoxy, smear the inside of the blank using a Bamboo BBQ skewer then get some on the tube, twist it in and move it back and forth and no holes and good coverage.
Click on the thumbnail, the blanks are amazing!!

Attachments

• Cantaloupe-3.jpg
    Cantaloupe-3.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

PenMan1

Simple answer. White under paint will always lighten the colors. Black under paint will usually darken colors.

If you are ever not quite sure which color to use, refer to the paragraph above and paint accordingly. Other colors may give more "wow", but hardly ever will you ruin a blank by following the "lighter" - "darker" theory.

jlord

For blanks like the Shredded Money I will use a military olive green color to disguise the tube & it blends in with the money.

I made a pen for my wife using a pink swirl color blank. Later she asked if I could make another one the same color. When I handed her the second pen she said it was not the same color. I said it has to be it was made out of the leftover from her first one. When she pulled out the first pen it was a different shade. I painted the tube & blank white on the second pen thinking that's what I did on the first. Well I realized that I painted the inside & tube with flat black on the first pen.

Last edited:

low_48

I've seen the idea that you paint a wood dowel many different colors, then slide that through a drilled blank. That will give you an idea of what will happen, and will make the choice easier.

BSea

I've seen the idea that you paint a wood dowel many different colors, then slide that through a drilled blank. That will give you an idea of what will happen, and will make the choice easier.
That's somewhat true. But the blank needs to be very transparent, or turned down to close to the final thickness. Otherwise, there is too much material for the paint on the stick to show through. Also it helps if you wet the blank on the inside when you look at the dowel.

Phunky_2003

That's somewhat true. But the blank needs to be very transparent, or turned down to close to the final thickness. Otherwise, there is too much material for the paint on the stick to show through. Also it helps if you wet the blank on the inside when you look at the dowel.

I cut a thin slice off the end of the blank with my bandsaw. I then lay that piece on a board that has different colors painted on it. It works out better for me this way.

jbswearingen

I found out that I need to match the color better or use a lighter color! Here's my first "success" at an acrylic pen--I reverse painted it black. Should have gone with green or silver, as the blank now looks blue, though it was green when I started!

DPP_0347Medium.jpg

Also found out that if you paint the tube, you can still see the glue between it and the blank. From now on I'll reverse paint all my acrylics!

moke

I used white and black only for a long time, but when you are making a slims or a thin walled pen, I sometimes notice it is lighter where the material is thinner. So the ends look lighter. I read from someone 5 or 6 months ago that the best remedy for that is to use a color close to the blank. Since I have been doing that I have not noticed that change in color with density as much.

I also got some advice from Penman1 that he uses a brand of paint called cremacote (or something like that) from Michael's. That also gave me some improvment.
I read in a thread where some are cleaning the inside of the inside of the tube before painting with a rat tail file, that helped too. I have been doing that for about a year now and similarly have had no problems since with "tracks"

Last edited:
Top Bottom