Painting tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

How do you decide what color to paint a tube for a pen with a multicolored blank?

I bought some of the Ohio State blanks and can't decide whether to paint the tubes red or silver. I would think it should be silver to bring out the silver and put some more shine on the red. I am worried about painting them red and having it make the silver look pink.

Finally, my plan was to paint the inside of the blank, rather than the tube itself, so that the paint will hide any glue lines. Does that seem prudent?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I'd paint them white or silver. Remember, whatever color you use will slightly "tent" the blank.
I paint both the tube and the inside of the blank.

Chasper

I always back paint the inside of the drilled hole, and occcasionally also paint the tubes. Painting the lighter color, in this case silver, is usually the best choice, but if the red is highly transparent there is some risk that it will look washed out.

If the blank is mostly silver in a limited area, and mostly red in the rest, you could paint both colors. First paint the inside of the blank behind the color you will use the least of, let that dry totally. Then go back and paint the entire inside of the blank with the other color. The color that went on first will be covered but it will be the visible color when looking through the blank toward the tube.

Katsin

I've got some alternate ivory that I'm going to put on a Jr. Statesman kit. Do you think that painting the blank and/or tube painting would be necessary? The alternate ivory looks pretty opaque.

I've done some painting for acrylic blanks and I just painted the inside of the blank and that appeared to work just fine. I use the Ceramcoat paint that others have recommended. Found it for about $1 a bottle at Michael's craft supply stores.

Katsin

Thanks for the advice.

Ed: Also thanks for a Yipee! blank. Looks so much like metal! Looking forward to turning it.

Top Bottom