Painting Tubes ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scollins

Hi,
I am just getting into turning PR blanks and have heard a lot about painting the tubes, which I learned why after a few tries. I looked thru the library and was unable to find any articles. I thought I'd ask here before ruining a whole lot more blanks and tubes.

- Do any particular paints tolerate the CA glue better than others?
- Is reverse painting just another way of saying paint the inside of the blank vs. the outside of the tube? Is one way better than the other?

Thank you for the help
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

- Do any particular paints tolerate the CA glue better than others?
- Is reverse painting just another way of saying paint the inside of the blank vs. the outside of the tube? Is one way better than the other?

Steve; I just use a standard spray can (Krylon) type paint. Try to get the ones with removable nozzles. Drop them in paint thinner or acetone if clogged.

Spray the hole in the blank. This prevents glue from showing thru on very transparent blanks. Depending on the dirll bit you use, you may have to use a slightly larger bit. I tend to make my tubes snug. Brass tube will slide thru the blank, but not rattle.

Imagine different colors and the effect they have. The two pens below started out as identical white blanks. One I painted the inside of one blank pink, the other light blue. They were for a baby shower. My wife's friend was having fraternal twins. One boy, one girl.

workinforwood

I always paint tubes for acrylics no matter what. If it was not necessary..well no harm done, but if it was necessary and you didn't do it..you can't go back.

I rough up my tubes and then spray them with spray paint. I use whatever is cheap and like to by the tiny cans. I always let the paint dry 24 hrs. This way the paint gets not just dry, but cured. If the paint is dry but not cured, then some paint might come off while inserting the tube.

I never use CA for gluing in tubes. I use 5 min epoxy. Buy a sample pack of pearl ex at micheals...find it in the stamp aisle. Add just a tiny tiny bit of a color that relates to the paint you used on the tubes into the epoxy and stir it up. This way if the acrylic is extra translucent..you won't see any glue inside the pen because the glue is tinted. Epoxy won't eat the paint, and you don't have to hurry so much to get the tube into position inside the blank. You can spend some extra time working the glue inside the blank for better adhesion. Don't even need an insertion tool..waste of money if you ask me. just use a scrap piece of wood or popsicle stick to manuever tube into the blank if need be.

gwilki

I'm with Jeff on the epoxy. I used to use CA until I had to remove some wood that I screwed up. I saw just how bad the glue joint was. The wood chipped off easily. I like the extra working time, too.

As for painting the tubes, I used to use whatever sprays I had around. Lately, I've been using Sharpie markers. They seem impervious to anything and they don't add anything to the dimensions of the tube. So far, so good anyway.

Parson

Someone recommended I try high temp black primer spray from the auto parts store and I've been using that for a while. I love how it makes my deep red, green, and blue PR blanks look rich.

However, I can already see that on a couple of blanks I want to turn, painting the tubes white is going to be a necessity or my finished pens will look like black mud.

beck3906

I go to the Borg and buy the cheapest spray paints available to paint the tubes. I also tint the epoxy with a few drops of Testors model enamel Use just enough to give the epoxy color. Painting the tubes and tinting the epoxy gives me a double measure of protection.

Seems to be working for me and the cost is reasonable.

Another thing I've noticed lately is that there may be small plastic particles adhered to the inside of the drilled hole from drilling some acrylics. I use small wood craft sticks from Walmart that are about 1/4 inch wide to scrape the inside of the drilled hole to remove those burrs. If not, I've seen those burrs scratch the paint from the tubes during insertion.

I use the wood sticks to smear the epoxy to the inside of the drilled hole to ensure good coverage.

Chasper

I rarely paint the tubes, but I always reverse paint the inside of the drilled hole in the blank. I use mostly Testors because I like to match the colors reasonably close. I also use oil based enamels and even latex house paint if I find a color I need.

I paint the inside of the blanks with a q-tip. Use a chain saw file to make sure it is smooth inside before painting. I paint inside instead of painting tubes because I've found that on the more transparent blanks bloches of glue will be visible on top of the painted tube. Mostly I glue with CA, sometimes epoxy, my preference is CA; quicker, cleaner, no open time deadline, and more than adequate in terms of adhesive stregnth.

IPD_Mrs

Gerry's advise is the smartest in my opinion. Years ago some of our first acrylic and PR blanks were wasted because we painted the tubes and not the blanks. The glue no matter what type, CA, Gorilla or epoxy would show on some of the translucent blanks.

I rarely paint the tubes, but I always reverse paint the inside of the drilled hole in the blank. I use mostly Testors because I like to match the colors reasonably close. I also use oil based enamels and even latex house paint if I find a color I need.

I paint the inside of the blanks with a q-tip. Use a chain saw file to make sure it is smooth inside before painting. I paint inside instead of painting tubes because I've found that on the more transparent blanks bloches of glue will be visible on top of the painted tube. Mostly I glue with CA, sometimes epoxy, my preference is CA; quicker, cleaner, no open time deadline, and more than adequate in terms of adhesive stregnth.

glen r

I've found that colored Sharpie markers also make a good color job on tubes. They are cheap and are available in every imaginable color. However they do however not work on painting the inside of the tube.

LarryDNJR

Buy a sample pack of pearl ex at micheals...find it in the stamp aisle. Add just a tiny tiny bit of a color that relates to the paint you used on the tubes into the epoxy and stir it up. This way if the acrylic is extra translucent..you won't see any glue inside the pen because the glue is tinted.

Learned something new. I like this idea. I've just recently started using epoxy more than ca lately so may have to do this.

Larry

Top Bottom