Painting Tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I don't know if it matters or not. I use testers acrylic or some other brand of model paint enamel. Pretty much whatever I can find that matches the color I want. I've never paid attention to whether it was gloss or flat.

ldb2000

Very seldom do I paint the tubes , I paint the inside of the blank . If you paint just the tubes and you have a more translucent blank the glue will show through and could look worse then the brass tube would . The type of paint don't really matter , gloss or flat will usually work the same . CA glue will soften some paints more then others so I use epoxy to glue in the tubes .

GouletPens

If you just paint the tubes, you'll see the glue through the acrylics. Better than not painting anything, but painting the inside of the blank is better. Use Testors model paint, a q-tip, and coat the inside of the blank after drilling. Easy as pie!

RAdams

Banned
I use gun blueing to blacken the outside of the tubes. one bottle will do TONS of tubes.

But after reading this thread, i think i will get some model paint and start painting the inside of the blank!

dexter0606

Up until now I've just been coloring the tubes with a black Sharpie marker. I'm looking forward to trying the painted blank method !!
How many different colors do you keep on hand? Or do you use white for a light colored blank and black for dark?

Jeff

BigguyZ

I saw Solarlux dye being used in the "bucks" blank video. Do you think that would work well for everyday blanks as well? The problem I get is the paint dissovles with the CA.

GouletPens

Up until now I've just been coloring the tubes with a black Sharpie marker. I'm looking forward to trying the painted blank method !!
How many different colors do you keep on hand? Or do you use white for a light colored blank and black for dark?

Jeff
I bought a variety pack of model paints at Michael's, cost around $5-8 I don't remember exactly. It came with blue, green, red, gold, yellow, white, and silver I think, maybe more I dunno. I just use whatever is closest to the color of the acrylic, or more dramatic if I'm going for that kind of effect. You'd be surprised how differently you can make an acrylic appear once turned just by changing the color you paint the inside of it.

As far as glue goes, if you use epoxy with the Testors, you shouldn't have a problem. I can't speak as well to CA b/c I haven't CA'd a tube in a blank in over a year.

Top Bottom