Painting Tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

I know I've seen how drilling a slightly larger hole when you plan on painting the inside of the blank (or tube) is a good idea, but I don't know how much bigger is enough. I know it's been said before, but I can't find it. Oh, an I plan on using Testors, if that matters.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

Instead of painting the tubes, paint the inside of the blank with Testors using a q-tip. You can drill as normal.

sekach

I concur with Brian's recommendation, it hides the glue as well as the brass. If you chose to paint the tubes instead though as long as you don't put 10 coats of paint on the tubes (only 1-2 coats) you should be good. At least it works for me, haven't had to drill anything in a larger diameter.

mick

Zach,
It all depends on which kit you're making. As Brian said paint the inside of the blanks you'll be much happier with the results. NOW depending on the type pen you're making there will be different tolerances between hole and tube. A lot can also depend on your drill bit. I bought a couple of 10mm bits once for Cigars and when using them they were undersized just enough that I couldn't paint the blanks, made the holes too small. A Panache also comes to mind. if I'm making them out of "plastics" I have to adjust bit sizes when painting.
I said all that to say this. Drill your normal hole check the fit. Some kits have plenty of room...others don't. Sorry there's no cut and dry answer but this is one of those things which come with experience.
Mike

Lenny

I'm getting ready to make a Broadwell Nouveau Sceptre rollerball in White aquapearl. I noticed the tube will show thru and wondered what kind of paint should I use to paint it? Does the paint interfere with the bond? Sumo glue turns white as it cures... is that enough to hide the tube?
Thanks!

GouletPens

I'm getting ready to make a Broadwell Nouveau Sceptre rollerball in White aquapearl. I noticed the tube will show thru and wondered what kind of paint should I use to paint it? Does the paint interfere with the bond? Sumo glue turns white as it cures... is that enough to hide the tube?
Thanks!
I can't speak for sumo glue as I don't use polyurethane glues, only epoxy and I haven't had problems with bonding to a painted blank. What color you should paint it will depend on what look you're trying to achieve. The neat part about painting the blank is you can really change the look of resins just by the paint you use. But if you're going for a white look, I'd use white paint. Testors model paints, you get them at Michaels or basically any craft store.

randyrls

I can't speak for sumo glue as I don't use polyurethane glues, only epoxy and I haven't had problems with bonding to a painted blank. What color you should paint it will depend on what look you're trying to achieve. The neat part about painting the blank is you can really change the look of resins just by the paint you use. But if you're going for a white look, I'd use white paint. Testors model paints, you get them at Michaels or basically any craft store.

I once tried to see what difference the paint color made so I made several pens with the same blank, but painted the inside of the blank different colors.

This is the result. I painted the inside of the blank with Baby Blue, and Pink. The blanks are identical, only the colors were changed.
I also did White, Gray, and Black, but no photos. The white washed out the contrast, the gray dulled the blank a bit, and the black made the blank very dark gray with lighter gray areas.
1_PEN_342_sm.jpg

index.php

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
My experience at painting tubes and blanks is that ca and poly glues did not hold up (tube came loose) so I started using epoxy on the pens I had to paint. No problems since then. I also like flat Testors rather than gloss.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Zach,
It all depends on which kit you're making. As Brian said paint the inside of the blanks you'll be much happier with the results. NOW depending on the type pen you're making there will be different tolerances between hole and tube. A lot can also depend on your drill bit. I bought a couple of 10mm bits once for Cigars and when using them they were undersized just enough that I couldn't paint the blanks, made the holes too small. A Panache also comes to mind. if I'm making them out of "plastics" I have to adjust bit sizes when painting.
I said all that to say this. Drill your normal hole check the fit. Some kits have plenty of room...others don't. Sorry there's no cut and dry answer but this is one of those things which come with experience.
Mike

Actually Mike there IS a way --- I have not done this yet, but someday.......

When starting a pen, mic the tube (I do this) and choose the drill bit that is best (couple thousandths larger) and drill that size hole. Now, if we are going to paint, we ought to be able to decide how many thousandths extra we would like to have. Then, make a chart of "optimum hole size-wood, optimum hole size - non moving materials and optimum hole size painted" with each hole sized for the situation.

As I said, I have not done this yet. I do have SOME of my more popular kits labeled on the bags that contain inventory (large zip locks) with drill sizes written on the outside. But I have not made large numbers of pens this year, so those drill sizes COULD change when we are getting into production for Christmas.

This WOULD be a pretty fail safe method, I think.

mick

Actually Mike there IS a way --- I have not done this yet, but someday.......

When starting a pen, mic the tube (I do this) and choose the drill bit that is best (couple thousandths larger) and drill that size hole. Now, if we are going to paint, we ought to be able to decide how many thousandths extra we would like to have. Then, make a chart of "optimum hole size-wood, optimum hole size - non moving materials and optimum hole size painted" with each hole sized for the situation.

As I said, I have not done this yet. I do have SOME of my more popular kits labeled on the bags that contain inventory (large zip locks) with drill sizes written on the outside. But I have not made large numbers of pens this year, so those drill sizes COULD change when we are getting into production for Christmas.

This WOULD be a pretty fail safe method, I think.

Ed, once again I bow to your wisdom. Yes it would be a very fail safe method...if I every took the time to do it. Most of pens I make and Know I'll be painting the blanks I've already "adjusted as needed". That's the part I meant came with experience!

Top Bottom