Painting the tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

Good morning people,

I agree that you need to paint some brass tubes with some of the acrylics today's. Yet If you [sand the tube for glue you are now you painted over the sanding good for the paint. BUT What is need now for the glue? How strong is the paint hold to the glue? Is there any additional work needed on the paint?

Or am I just overreacting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

In my opinion, the glue sticks very well to the properly cured glue so while it is still very important to sand the tubes, the cured paint does not have to be sanded.

Russianwolf

depends on how hot the blank gets as you turn it. :tongue:

I don't sand the tubes, I glue tube into wood blanks with GG. I glue painted tubes into resin blanks with GG (after I run water through the blanks).

I've never had a failure while I was turning a pen since starting to use GG.

Now, last night, I had a resin blank that I wasn't happy with the look of once I got it down to size. I put the blank between centers and was about to turn it off the tube. Doing this puts all the force on the glue/paint bond since the bushings normally transfers some of the pressure to the blank. When I went to turn off the "bad" blank, it did break loose from the tube and I was able to push the tube out. The bond broke between the paint and the tube, the tube (unroughed) came out of the blank with most of the paint removed.

Now in this case there are three bonds. tube to paint, paint to gg, and gg to blank. The bond that will break is the smoothest/weakest of the three.

But with all that, unless you are being VERY aggressive on your cuts (as I was when I went to remove the blank from the tube) and get the blank very hot (which weakens the bonds also) and are turning without bushing (which transfers all the force to the bonds), you aren't likely to have a problem with the bonds breaking.

bitshird

On Acrylics I use 5 minute epoxy, I sand the tubes on my belt sander,it usually has either a 80 grit or a 60 grit belt, then I mix a drop or two of PR dye from U.S. Composites in the epoxy, (you can also get small tubes from Micheal's or Hobby Lobby) thoroughly coat the inside of the blank, swirl some around the tubes and twist them in and pull them out making sure the whole surface of the tube has been covered, I use bamboo skewer sticks to coat the inside of the blanks. only takes a drop or two and doeskin mess with the set up time.

Top Bottom