painting tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ngeb528

I didn't want to hijack someone elses thread but had a couple of questions about painting tubes.

I recently received a purple cob blank and was trying to determine if I needed to paint the tube. I think a saw a post a while back about someone who didn't and wasn't happy with the result.

Should the tube be painted?

Also, and this is just a question of asthetics, what color(s) have you used? Do you try to use the same color or a contrasting color?

Any advice/suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Nancy

JohnU

I dont paint tubes for cobs because they arent transparent & ive never had a problem. Others like acrylics i paint. I like to pick a color that resembles the acrylic. Clear resin blanks I like to paint black to give the blank a blach endless hole look, but its just my opinion.

Tn-Steve

I had a lot of the same questions, and got an OUTSTANDING response in this Thread . On the second page there is a great pic of the same blank done up with two different colors of paint (black and white). I know it answered a lot of my questions, and I'm sure it will help with yours.

Steve

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nancy,
Painting creates a number of questions and problems.

First, if you paint with MOST paints, CA will smear it and change the color. Some paints do not do this, I have been told, but mine do.
This can be overcome by using epoxy for glue.

Next if you don't paint the inside of the hole, you will see your glue "bubbles". Not always a BAD thing, but plan on it.

Of course, if you paint your tube and hole, you will change the SIZE of the hole. Again, plan. I measure all blanks with a caliper, then go up a 64th if I plan to paint.

The new "chameleon" tubes are a good alternative, but the glue showing issue is not resolved by using them.

Also, white powder coated tubes eliminate the "running glue" problem, but the glue "bubbles" show.

As long as you know what to expect, you can usually find a good combination.

Good Luck.

Top Bottom