painting tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JENocide

I'm trying to use painted tubes for my acrylic pens so I don't see gold showing through. I've tried spray paint, acrylic paint and Sharpie paint pen. I've tried painting the inside of the blank and the outside of the tube, just the tube, just the inside of the blank. I've sanded the tubes an extra amount to make them more scratched and textured. All efforts have failed... not 100% but enough to make it a failure as a whole. The tubes look good but they push out when I'm putting the pen together after turning or they push out when I'm squaring the ends. I've tried both medium CA glue and gorilla glue epoxy.

Anyone have any tips that actually works and will keep the painted tube glued in place or a different type of paint that will adhere to the acrylic blank better? Thanks for your advice.

JEN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

The last time I did this I used acrylic latex paint and painted the inside of the blank before the tube was glued in. The hole was slightly bigger to accommodate the paint. I used a Q-tip that I fluffed up so it fit tight in the hole. Then with the fluffed part at about the middle and the rest of the q-tip inside the blank, I poured the paint into the hole. The I slowly pulled the q-tip down to the other end. This let the paint completely and evenly coat the inside of the blank.
Then I allowed the excess paint run out the end while it dried for about 2 days. I used 2-part 5 minute epoxy and had no trouble turning the blank.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'm no expert, but one thing that I've found to be important is to give your paint and your glue plenty of time to cure.

I use Krylon spray paints & paint both the tube and the inside of the blank. Painting the tube is probably not necessary, but it only takes a few seconds extra, so why not? I don't sand or scuff tubes, but I do let the paint cure at least 2-3 days, usually more.

Before gluing, I test fit the tube to be sure there's a proper fit & run the bit through by hand if there is too much paint build up. I use medium CA, liberally applied all around the tube, insert with an in-out & twisting motion to get good coverage all over the tube & hole. Then I let the glue cure at least 24 hrs - usually more.

FWIW I like the 2P10 brand of CA.

More4dan

I spray paint from both ends of the blank only and let it dry overnight. I also give the blank a spin on the lathe after painting to smooth out the paint. I typically use CA and apply to the hole from one end then add glue to the tube and insert from the other end of the blank twisting. I'll start turning in 10 min or so. I haven't had issues.

I have had issues using acrylic paint applied by hand. Thick paint isn't as strong as a thin coat and that is what the glue is sticking to. Also a thick coat is more likely to get scratched inserting the tube. I started using 2P10 CA after a demo from a Edgar. Amazing the difference it's made on my CA topcoat for wood.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

gtriever

I brush out the inside of the blank, then spray paint the inside with Rustoleum 2X and let it cure for a minimum of 24 -36 hours. I then scuff the tube and glue it in the blank with BSI Slow Cure Epoxy, and let that cure for at least 8 - 12 hours. After that it goes to the sander for trimming and squaring, then the tubes are brushed out again before it goes to the lathe.

Kenny Durrant

I use Americana Acrylic Paint from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I use the Gorilla Glue that is water activated and foams. I paint the tube and the inside of the blank using a Q tip for the blank. I'll let the paint dry just for a few minutes then put the glue on the tube and the blank. More than likely if the paint not completely dry it will start foaming but I'll still dip the tube in water then insert it in the blank. I always tape the ends so the foaming glue won't push the tube out of the blank. It didn't push it out all the time but it wasn't good when it did. I would let the glue cure overnight which may seen like a long time to glue something but it helped in two ways. With the paint mixing with the glue I never had any brass show through the blank and with the glue foaming I felt like I was getting less voids between the tube and blank. Another plus is that is comes in several colors so I never had trouble finding something that matched the colors of the blank.

More4dan

I started using 2P10 CA after a demo from a Edgar. Amazing the difference it's made on my CA topcoat for wood.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Can you tell me more about what you like about this brand or how it made a difference in your work?

I am able to apply with about 20-30 seconds between coats. Therefore I do many thin coats. I end up with a smooth finish that usually just requires buffing for a satin finish or micro mesh for a shiny clear finish. It's extremely rare I have to start with sanding on my CA clear coat. I've also had this CA for about a year without it going bad. I've used the thick, medium, and thin. For top coat mostly the thin and sometimes medium on top of thin.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

crokett

I use 2 part epoxy to glue tubes in. I use Loctite brand, that's what available here. I didn't like Gorilla Glue brand when I tried it. Super glue doesn't get good coverage and sets very quickly. I paint the tubes with an acrylic, I don't remember what brand, let the tube dry for a few minutes then mix the epoxy. I paint 2/3 of the tube with epoxy and push it into the blank. The excess that builds up around the tube then gets spread around the remaining tube still sticking out. then I push the tube into the blank. I use acid brushes to mix the epoxy. they are cheap and the handle is the perfect size for a 7mm tube.

I usually batch glue-ups for later at night so they can cure overnight and I'm not waiting around.

More4dan

I typically use med or thick CA for tubes and have not have an issue. I usually start turning about 5-10 minutes after glueing. I add CA to the blank from one end. Enough it drips down about half way. I plug the tube with modeling clay. Then spread CA on the tube about 3/4 length then insert in the opposite end of the blank. It makes sure there is CA on both ends. After a couple minutes I push out the clay plug. And in another 5 min I sand the ends to the tube and start turning.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom