Painting tubes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

law_kid

I see that the conventional wisdom for certain types of blanks is to paint the tube or "reverse-paint" the blank, which I assume means to paint the inside of the blank. Doesn't this affect adhesion with your CA glue? I thought that was the whole point of scuffing up naked brass tubes. Or are you still supposed to scuff the tubes after they have been painted?

For tubes that come pre-painted, should they still be scuffed, or no?

Also, what sort of paint should I use? If I am painting The Tubes white, should I just get a can of white Rust-Oleum? Or is there something else?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

You can use White Rustoleum if that is the color you need. I have used Testor's model paint, and even automotive spray paint. Some people have used acrylic paint. Just make sure whtever you use, that you let it dry for at least 24 hours.

Most people use epoxy when painting the tubes and let it dry for 24 hours as well.

You can use White Rustoleum if that is the color you need. I have used Testor's model paint, and even automotive spray paint. Some people have used acrylic paint. Just make sure whtever you use, that you let it dry for at least 24 hours.

Most people use epoxy when painting the tubes and let it dry for 24 hours as well.
This is what I did with three acrylic pens this weekend. I painted the inside of the blanks white, waited 24 hours, epoxied the tubes in, waited another 24 hours then turned them.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

fiferb

I like to do both, paint the tubes and the inside of the blank with any spray paint or testors model paint. I use thick CA and haven't had an issue with adhesion. I do scuff the tubes before I paint. The only thing I would caution you about is be careful how thick you get the paint.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I haven't scuffed a tube in several years - some folks do and some don't.

I use Krylon spray paints & paint the inside of acrylic blanks as well as the tube then let them dry at least 24 hours, but usually 2-3 days. I use medium CA, but always test fit the tube first - I gently run the drill back through the hole by hand if I get the paint a little too thick.

Many techniques will work - experiment & see what works best for you. :)

I use Tamiya acrylic spray paint to backpaint the blanks but don't paint the tubes. I only use epoxy and haven't had any problems with the paint running or peeling when inserting the tubes. I let the backpainted blank set for a day and scuff the tubes before gluing them in.
As mentioned, find what works for you and stick with it.

fiferb

OK, how do you spray paint into that little hole in the blank?

I put on one of those disposable rubber gloves, take careful aim and spray. I rotate the blank to get good coverage. After it is covered, I'll also put the blank down and "roll" it by flipping every few seconds until it sets up. That prevents it from pooling.

Top Bottom